Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Killing vector in Stephani

1. Jan 17, 2011 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

In Stephani's "Relativity", section 33.3, equation (33.9), he has the Killing equations for cartesian coordinates as

[tex]\xi_{a,b}+\xi_{b,a}=0[/tex]

From there he says upon differentiation, you can get the following three equations

[tex]\xi_{a,bc}+\xi_{b,ac}=0[/tex]
    [tex]\xi_{b,ca}+\xi_{c,ba}=0[/tex]
    [tex]\xi_{c,ab}+\xi_{a,cb}=0[/tex]

Now, I'm not use to the ,; notation, but doesn't the first equation mean

[tex]\partial_b \xi_a + \partial_a \xi_b=0[/tex]?

If so, I don't understand the other 3 equations then. If for example, the first one is suppose to be subsequent differentiation by [tex]\partial_c[/tex], then wouldn't it be[tex]\xi_{a,b,c}+\xi_{b,a,c}=0[/tex]?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2011 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think that it is supposed to be a second derivative, and the second comma is omitted. So:

[tex] \xi_{b,ca} = \partial_a(\partial_c\xi_b)[/tex]

EDIT: If you assume that, then does it work?

4. Jan 19, 2011 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

As far as i can tell, no. He seems to be permuting the indices but I don't know what about the killing vector allows one to do that.

5. Jan 19, 2011 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Insights Author

If you're working in a flat space without a torsion, then the partial derivatives commute when applied to any covector, be it Killing or not.

So from the Killing equation [itex] \xi_{(a,b)} = 0 [/itex], differentiating it by [itex] x^c [/itex], one obtains succesively

[tex] \xi_{(a,b)c} = \xi_{(a,bc)} = 0 {}[/tex] ,

thing which allows you, Stephani and everybody else to permute the indices in every of the 6 possible cases, without changing anything.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?