Killinig animals

1. wolram

wolram 3,759
    Gold Member

Like the rhino just for the aphrodisiac from its horn is unforgivable, and it most
    likely doesn't work any way, where do people get these ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. arildno

arildno 12,015
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Because the horn of the rhino "looks like" a phallus.

I would recomend you to read James A. Frazer's classic "The Golden Bough", in which he performs a vast and thorough investigation into among other things, the ideas of "sympathetic magic".
    Belief in "Sympathetic magic" seems to be an almost universally, cross-culturally present; essentially, it involves simplistic causation schemes like "Like begets like", "Opposites cancel" and so on.

4. wolram

wolram 3,759
    Gold Member

But are people so simple?

5. arildno

arildno 12,015
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why do you think we had to wait for a truly exceptional genius like Isaac Newton to come around to tell us basic stuff about how the world appears to work?

6. Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Apparently too many people are that simple. Many adults still maintain 'magical thinking' or belief in the supernatural.

I consider knowledge about astronomy, cosmology, nuclear physics, particle physics, quantum mechanics, thermodynamics, . . . . basically many aspects of mathematics and science are very basic or fundamental to me. BUT, the vast majority of humanity is ignorant to this knowledge.

A friend was very recently accosted in a store in a rural area of the US. He explained that his approach to life was more scientific than religious, and he was told that "science was an abomination against God". :rolleyes:

7. arildno

arildno 12,015
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Magical thinking is a nice, fuzzy mode of reflection which seems to imbue the world with beautiful and deep "meanings". That is, I think the basic reason why "people" tend to believe in such stuff, is that it makes them feel happier about themselves and their place in the world.

In a way, magical thinking is a sort of pre-philosophical existentialism.

8. wolram

wolram 3,759
    Gold Member

I would be the first to think escapism, but killing an animal for some whim is
    repellant, humanity should be ashamed.

9. arildno

arildno 12,015
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I perfectly agree with you; I was merely musing over what might be the basic reason behind this nonsense.

10. Astronuc

Killing an animal for sport or recreation or amusement is repugnant, but there are such people.

I have no problem with people hunting herbivorous animals for food, but to kill a magnificent creature like an elephant, rhinoceros, lion, tiger or any other of the big cats for sport is simply evil. :mad:

11. arildno

arildno 12,015
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Whale tastes very good..

Runs and hides..

12. Astronuc

:surprised That's like eating family.

13. I agree, there isn't any justification for it.

I've always classed 'magic' as an unknown science. When the science becomes know it is no longer 'magical'.

p.s. original men of science used to be called alchemists.

14. arildno

arildno 12,015
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Newton was quite appropriately called "The Last Sorcerer" by a biographer.
    His main corpus of work where in the occult area, rather than in natural science and math.

("The last Alchemist" would have been more accurate,IMO, but "sorcerer" is cooler and more catchy)

15. wolram

wolram 3,759
    Gold Member

:yuck: :yuck: and more :yuck: , i pity that part of humanity, i can only hope
    that the aztex ritual of bleeding nuts is past,and killing animals for what, can be ended now.

16. wolram

wolram 3,759
    Gold Member

My final thought is, do these aphrodisiacs work?

17. wolram

wolram 3,759
    Gold Member

And so you should, you, you, you, some thing not nice.

18. Lisa!

Lisa! 990
    Gold Member

Are you a vegetarian, Sir?

19. Astronuc

NO, they don't. If they did, one could consume similar material by eating one's fingernails. Rhinoceros horn is made of keratin

This is as stupid as consuming the contents of bear gall bladders or other animal parts.

It's bad enough humans are violent to one another, but leave innocent animals out of it. :mad:

See also the CITES website

20. wolram

wolram 3,759
    Gold Member

No Lisa,your highness, i eat meat, but i wouldn't kill an animal for some mistaken pleasure.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2005
  21. you mean we should leave all animals in peace, not only those most pretty and magnificent.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?