Killinig animals

  • Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • #1
wolram
Gold Member
4,267
557
Like the rhino just for the aphrodisiac from its horn is unforgivable, and it most
likely doesn't work any way, where do people get these ideas?
 

Answers and Replies

  • #2
arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
9,970
132
Because the horn of the rhino "looks like" a phallus.

I would recomend you to read James A. Frazer's classic "The Golden Bough", in which he performs a vast and thorough investigation into among other things, the ideas of "sympathetic magic".
Belief in "Sympathetic magic" seems to be an almost universally, cross-culturally present; essentially, it involves simplistic causation schemes like "Like begets like", "Opposites cancel" and so on.
 
  • #3
wolram
Gold Member
4,267
557
But are people so simple?
 
  • #4
arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
9,970
132
wolram said:
But are people so simple?
Why do you think we had to wait for a truly exceptional genius like Isaac Newton to come around to tell us basic stuff about how the world appears to work?
 
  • #5
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
18,849
2,111
wolram said:
But are people so simple?
Apparently too many people are that simple. Many adults still maintain 'magical thinking' or belief in the supernatural.

I consider knowledge about astronomy, cosmology, nuclear physics, particle physics, quantum mechanics, thermodynamics, . . . . basically many aspects of mathematics and science are very basic or fundamental to me. BUT, the vast majority of humanity is ignorant to this knowledge.

A friend was very recently accosted in a store in a rural area of the US. He explained that his approach to life was more scientific than religious, and he was told that "science was an abomination against God". :rolleyes:
 
  • #6
arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
9,970
132
Magical thinking is a nice, fuzzy mode of reflection which seems to imbue the world with beautiful and deep "meanings". That is, I think the basic reason why "people" tend to believe in such stuff, is that it makes them feel happier about themselves and their place in the world.

In a way, magical thinking is a sort of pre-philosophical existentialism.
 
  • #7
wolram
Gold Member
4,267
557
arildno said:
Magical thinking is a nice, fuzzy mode of reflection which seems to imbue the world with beautiful and deep "meanings". That is, I think the basic reason why "people" tend to believe in such stuff, is that it makes them feel happier about themselves and their place in the world.

In a way, magical thinking is a sort of pre-philosophical existentialism.
I would be the first to think escapism, but killing an animal for some whim is
repellant, humanity should be ashamed.
 
  • #8
arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
9,970
132
wolram said:
I would be the first to think escapism, but killing an animal for some whim is
repellant, humanity should be ashamed.
I perfectly agree with you; I was merely musing over what might be the basic reason behind this nonsense.
 
  • #9
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
18,849
2,111
Killing an animal for sport or recreation or amusement is repugnant, but there are such people.

I have no problem with people hunting herbivorous animals for food, but to kill a magnificent creature like an elephant, rhinoceros, lion, tiger or any other of the big cats for sport is simply evil. :mad:
 
  • #10
arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
9,970
132
Whale tastes very good..





Runs and hides..
 
  • #11
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
18,849
2,111
arildno said:
Whale tastes very good..

Runs and hides..
:surprised That's like eating family.
 
  • #12
36
0
but to kill a magnificent creature like an elephant, rhinoceros, lion, tiger or any other of the big cats for sport is simply evil.
I agree, there isn't any justification for it.

Many adults still maintain 'magical thinking' or belief in the supernatural.
I've always classed 'magic' as an unknown science. When the science becomes know it is no longer 'magical'.

p.s. original men of science used to be called alchemists.
 
  • #13
arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
9,970
132
Newton was quite appropriately called "The Last Sorcerer" by a biographer.
His main corpus of work where in the occult area, rather than in natural science and math.

("The last Alchemist" would have been more accurate,IMO, but "sorcerer" is cooler and more catchy)
 
  • #14
wolram
Gold Member
4,267
557
Astronuc said:
Apparently too many people are that simple. Many adults still maintain 'magical thinking' or belief in the supernatural.

I consider knowledge about astronomy, cosmology, nuclear physics, particle physics, quantum mechanics, thermodynamics, . . . . basically many aspects of mathematics and science are very basic or fundamental to me. BUT, the vast majority of humanity is ignorant to this knowledge.

A friend was very recently accosted in a store in a rural area of the US. He explained that his approach to life was more scientific than religious, and he was told that "science was an abomination against God". :rolleyes:

:yuck: :yuck: and more :yuck: , i pity that part of humanity, i can only hope
that the aztex ritual of bleeding nuts is past,and killing animals for what, can be ended now.
 
  • #15
wolram
Gold Member
4,267
557
My final thought is, do these aphrodisiacs work?
 
  • #16
wolram
Gold Member
4,267
557
arildno said:
Whale tastes very good..





Runs and hides..
And so you should, you, you, you, some thing not nice.
 
  • #17
Lisa!
Gold Member
612
96
Mr. wolram said:
And so you should, you, you, you, some thing not nice.
Are you a vegetarian, Sir?
 
  • #18
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
18,849
2,111
wolram said:
My final thought is, do these aphrodisiacs work?
NO, they don't. If they did, one could consume similar material by eating one's fingernails. Rhinoceros horn is made of http://www.yesmag.bc.ca/Questions/rhino.html [Broken]

This is as stupid as consuming the contents of bear gall bladders or other animal parts.

It's bad enough humans are violent to one another, but leave innocent animals out of it. :mad:

See also the CITES website
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • #19
wolram
Gold Member
4,267
557
Lisa! said:
Are you a vegetarian, Sir?
No Lisa,your highness, i eat meat, but i wouldn't kill an animal for some mistaken pleasure.
 
Last edited:
  • #20
81
0
Astronuc said:
It's bad enough humans are violent to one another, but leave innocent animals out of it. :mad:

See also the CITES website
you mean we should leave all animals in peace, not only those most pretty and magnificent.
 
  • #21
25
0
I agree that such acts are deplorable. Then again, I don't stop at beautiful animals in my beliefs.

As to magic, I basically agree with Daminc.
 
  • #22
wolram
Gold Member
4,267
557
stoned said:
you mean we should leave all animals in peace, not only those most pretty and magnificent.
kill for food, not pleasure, any one who wants to get horny can find some other way,
 
  • #23
59
0
Rhinoceros horn , bears paw and bile, tiger penis , sharks fin,monkey brains....... all this are believed to be medicinal by chinese medicine, however i dont buy that ancient BS.

Still quite a lot of people use believe in it and these items can fetch quite a price.
 
  • #24
Mk
1,984
3
wolram said:
Like the rhino just for the aphrodisiac from its horn is unforgivable, and it most
likely doesn't work any way, where do people get these ideas?
I'll get nailed to a cupboard for saying this but, my question is "why not?"

Frankly I don't care about that monstrosity that rolls in mud and eats grass all day that much, and if an enormous population of people like doing something that's not hurting other people, I'd love to have them do that.
 
  • #25
464
0
I consider knowledge about astronomy, cosmology, nuclear physics, particle physics, quantum mechanics, thermodynamics, . . . . basically many aspects of mathematics and science are very basic or fundamental to me. BUT, the vast majority of humanity is ignorant to this knowledge.
Have you ever been called stupid for being knowledgeable in those areas? My sister calls me an idiot because I have an interest in science. She argues that I'm an idiot for studying and not doing fun things like partying.

Anyway, I see it was a wasteful, but nothing more. It's just an animal.
 

Related Threads on Killinig animals

  • Last Post
Replies
7
Views
4K
  • Last Post
Replies
3
Views
2K
  • Poll
  • Last Post
Replies
24
Views
3K
  • Last Post
Replies
17
Views
5K
  • Last Post
Replies
21
Views
4K
  • Last Post
Replies
4
Views
3K
  • Last Post
Replies
1
Views
854
  • Last Post
Replies
24
Views
4K
  • Last Post
Replies
7
Views
2K
  • Last Post
2
Replies
32
Views
8K
Top