Calculating Volume of Earth Removed in Open-Pit Coal Mine

• Thread starter lgen0290
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about calculating the volume of earth removed in a year from an open-pit coal mine that consumes 80 hectares of land. The initial attempt at a solution involved calculating the area to be a square and multiplying it by the depth. However, the conversion from hectares to km^2 was incorrect. A hint was given to start with the equation 1,000,000 m^2 = 1 km^2 and then convert from there. The correct conversion is 1 hectare = 0.01 km^2.
lgen0290

Homework Statement

A unit of area, often used in measuring land areas, is the "hectare", defined as 104 m2. An open-pit coal mine consumes 80 hectares of land, down to a depth of 26 m, each year. What volume of earth, in cubic kilometers, is removed in this time?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the area to be a square, with each side being .8944(sqrt of 800,000 divided by 1000). I multiplied this by .026. It gave me .0232. Ths answer is not correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
Heres a hint:

I would start by figuring out how many kilometers squared there are per hectare, and then multiplying by 80. If you know that then you already have the top area converted to km. You seem like you know what you should do from there.

OK, there is .1km squared per hectacre. I multiplied by 80, then by .026. I got .208, which is not correct.

Your conversion from hectares to km^2 is incorrect. To figure out what is correct start with the equation 1,000,000 m^2 = 1 km^2. Then convert the 1 million m^2 to hectares, and then solve for how many km^2 are in one hectare.

lgen0290 said:
OK, there is .1km squared per hectacre.

this is not correct

What is the formula for calculating volume of earth removed in an open-pit coal mine?

The formula for calculating volume of earth removed in an open-pit coal mine is: Volume = length x width x depth.

What are the units of measurement typically used for calculating volume in open-pit coal mines?

The units of measurement typically used for calculating volume in open-pit coal mines are cubic meters (m3) or cubic yards (yd3).

How accurate are volume calculations in open-pit coal mines?

The accuracy of volume calculations in open-pit coal mines depends on the precision of the measurements taken and the assumptions made. It is important to regularly check and adjust calculations to ensure accuracy.

What are some common challenges in accurately calculating volume of earth removed in open-pit coal mines?

Common challenges in accurately calculating volume of earth removed in open-pit coal mines include varying terrain and geological features, changing equipment sizes and configurations, and potential discrepancies in measurement methods.

Can technology be used to assist in calculating volume of earth removed in open-pit coal mines?

Yes, technology such as drones, GPS, and 3D modeling software can be used to assist in calculating volume of earth removed in open-pit coal mines. These tools can provide more precise measurements and reduce human error.