Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Kim Jong Un Executes His Uncle

1. Dec 12, 2013 #1

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The world hoped that Kim Jong Un would move North Korea away from paranoid weirdness, but it seems those hopes have died now. Along with his uncle.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-25359939

Scary. Just scary. The crazy little dude has nukes!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2013 #2
    It is scary.

4. Dec 12, 2013 #3

turbo

Gold Member

Once all moderating forces have been "purged" by Kim, NK's neighbors should be really scared. China has some massive firepower, but I hope they don't feel the need to act preemptively if they still have some leverage with Kim.

5. Dec 12, 2013 #4
    I doubt that he will die a natural death. My question is, will he be killed by his countrymen or by foreign powers?

6. Dec 13, 2013 #5

Claude Bile

Science Advisor

Apparently one of the charges was "dreaming rebellious dreams" or some jazz.

North Korea is truly run by lunatics.

Claude.

7. Dec 13, 2013 #6

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

Feudalism apparently still exists.

8. Dec 13, 2013 #7

mheslep

Gold Member

This event should focus attention on the increasing belligerence of China, as it is they that are the real restraint on lunatic behavior by N. Korea.

China has had long conflicting interests w/ N. Korea. Like the rest of the world they don't want a lunatic nuclear capable government, especially on its border; on the other hand they will tolerate almost any action other than suffer a US-backed toppling of the N. Korean dictatorship leading to a free, democratic Korea on its border.

As China becomes more militant, a nut in N. Korea might calculate he can now attack Seoul, even Japan, and avoid a catastrophic response from the US.

9. Dec 13, 2013 #8
    Business as usual in NK.

10. Dec 14, 2013 #9

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-25380168

If I was one of them, I wouldn't go home.

I wonder what it's like to work with such a person. I guess one has to be careful not to get on his bad side.

11. Dec 16, 2013 #10

reenmachine

Gold Member

What a strange life for this 30 years old man.

12. Dec 17, 2013 #11

Curious3141

Homework Helper

They almost certainly won't let someone go overseas without holding on to some dear family member as leverage. The old Soviet Union was in the habit of doing something similar with high-ranking KGB officers, etc.

13. Dec 17, 2013 #12
    I don't think he will die anytime soon. He seems to be paranoid enough, that he'll kill off anyone he suspects of treason. If he were assassinated by foreign powers, he would be replaced with someone just like him. Just like he did. In other words, business as usual, as Greg pointed out.

14. Dec 18, 2013 #13
    A Taiwanese colleague of mine says there is a rumor that Kim Jong's next target for execution is his own wife, for marrying someone else. He has already executed all others from the music band she once belonged to, few months ago.

15. Dec 18, 2013 #14
    Uncles are the gateway execution. Next it's sons, gymnasts, and then nuking the rest of the world like NK has totally been about to do every six months or so for the past 15 years.

16. Dec 18, 2013 #15

jhae2.718

Gold Member

Luckily, (as far as we know) they lack a decent delivery mechanism. Of course, if you're in the region, you still have problems.

17. Dec 20, 2013 #16

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Today, NK sent a threat to South Korea...via fax:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/20/world/asia/north-korea-threats/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Fax, really?! Sounds like something The Onion would come up with.

But no need to worry - Dennis Rodman has been sent to calm things :rolleyes:.

18. Dec 20, 2013 #17

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Well, I am glad guys like Nero or Napoleon didn't have access to nuclear weapons, although it IS scary that a similar guy like Kim Jong Un has that access. :smile:

19. Jan 3, 2014 #18

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

20. Jan 3, 2014 #19

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Thanks for the link phinds. The link you have points to this one:
    http://www.straitstimes.com/the-big-story/asia-report/china/story/jangs-execution-bodes-ill-china-20131224 [Broken]
    which sheds some light on why Kim executed his uncle. It states that Jang Song Thaek (Kim's uncle) had ties to China and was sympathetic to China. This part seems to sum up the underlying issue.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  21. Jan 3, 2014 #20
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook