1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kind of helpin from othersthax everyone.

1. Nov 4, 2005 #1
    Actually , i got a physic coursework..but there are some difficult question which makes me bein confused.. , they are :
    1) How does voltage affect the free electrons ?
    2) Choose a factor that will affect the current flowing through a length of resistance wire held at a constant voltage and carry out an investigation to determine the relationship ?
    I hope I can get some useful information from others as well..thanks so much..

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2005 #2

ranger

Gold Member

For number two, this may be useful.

Here is the equation for calculating the resistance of a wire.

[tex]R = p \frac {l} {A}[/tex]

p = resistivity of the substance
    A = area
    l = length

Just put that equation into words and you can figure what factor can affect the current flowing in a wire. You could always make an analogy between water flow and electron flow and the wire and a piece of pipe if it helps.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2005
  4. Nov 4, 2005 #3

ranger

Gold Member

For your other question, how do you think voltage would affect (free) electrons? Do you know what volatge is?

5. Nov 5, 2005 #4
    i'v juz got ur point out here...let me insist urs mentioned above...
    Voltage is the difference in electrical potential btn 2 points in a circuit.Its the push or pressure behind current flow through a circuit , and is measured in (V) volts..i hope its gud ideal..

6. Nov 5, 2005 #5
    Alrite...Im so appreciated abt it..in fact , Voltage is the difference in electrical potential btn 2 points in a circuit. Its the push or pressure behind current flow through a circuit , and is measured in (V) Volts....

7. Nov 5, 2005 #6

ranger

Gold Member

Okay, so since you know what voltage is, how does this push and/or potential difference affect free electrons?

HINT: think about the definition of current.

And one more thing, I had a hard time trying to figure out what you were trying to say. This is not an internet chat room.

8. Nov 6, 2005 #7
    Wow..its grt..thax ranger..
    Voltage is the difference in electrical potentia; btn 2 points in a circuit.Its the push or pressure behind current flow through a circuit , and is measured in (V) Volts...

9. Nov 6, 2005 #8
    sorrie..im not purposive to repeat for more times my reply..but i got some trouble here wit the NET..dats why...i posted dat statement for 3 times at once..im so sorry..
    i find hard to feedback ur question..its so confused..

10. Nov 6, 2005 #9

ranger

Gold Member

Exactly what is so confusing? Like I said before, you already know what voltage is, I gave you a hint. Just piece it together.

11. Nov 8, 2005 #10
    yap..its indeed hard to find a correct answer..i got ur Hint..but it doesnt help me to figure out wat it is.So watwatever u showed..Does Voltage familiar to current is dis matter..? juz help me find it out

12. Nov 8, 2005 #11
    Yap..its really hard to find out a direction from your hint..Juz look through , Voltage definition doesnt figure out that concern to the current..i just wonder...Can u make it clear ?

13. Nov 8, 2005 #12

ranger

Gold Member

Okay then. Here is a second big hint.

Current is the flow of electric charges (electrons) in a conductor.

So I wonder what would happen if I introduced voltage (potential difference) to (free) electrons...ummmm.......

14. Nov 8, 2005 #13

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Kubu, it seems English is not your first language, it is very difficult to understand what you are saying. You are using words that do not exist in the English language and people are having to guess what you are trying to say. Please try to make an effort to use proper English words, not slang.

Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?