Calculating Energy from Water Flow - Jonathan

• Thread starter pumba2
  • Start date
In summary: It is important to have a good understanding of the underlying principles and equations before attempting to make these calculations.
pumba2
hello, I want to calculat the connection between the amount of energy I can take from a flowing water (for example for produce electricity with turbine) when the water flow in a alestic pipe, and with the flow velocity, and the pressure on the pipe walls (which can be unstable, when the water came into the pipe from on period pump). how can I do that?

more than that, If it's possible, I want to calculate what is the enrgy I took from the water in electricity power (mean volts), or even what is the connection between the water flow and the RPM of the turbine runner, and to volts.

I hope somone know it and can help me with this
thanking you in advance,
Jonathan

Physics news on Phys.org
In order to calculate the amount of energy you can take from flowing water, you need to consider several factors, such as the flow rate, pressure, and pipe size. You will also need to know the efficiency of the turbine you are using, as this will affect the amount of energy you can produce. Additionally, if you are looking to calculate the connection between the water flow and the RPM of the turbine runner, and its corresponding voltage, then you will need to use an equation which takes into account several factors, such as the torque, power, RPM, and voltage. There are various online calculators and resources which can help you to make these calculations.

1. What is the formula for calculating energy from water flow?

The formula for calculating energy from water flow is: E = mgh, where E is energy (in joules), m is mass (in kilograms), g is acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and h is the height difference (in meters).

2. How does water flow affect energy production?

The rate of water flow directly affects energy production. The faster the water flows, the more energy can be harnessed. This is because a higher flow rate means more mass and a greater height difference, leading to a higher value for mgh in the energy formula.

3. What units are typically used for measuring water flow?

The most commonly used units for measuring water flow are cubic meters per second (m^3/s) or cubic feet per second (ft^3/s). These units represent the volume of water that passes through a given point in one second.

4. How can the efficiency of energy production from water flow be improved?

The efficiency of energy production from water flow can be improved by reducing losses in the system. This can be achieved through proper maintenance of equipment, minimizing friction in pipelines, and optimizing the design of turbines to capture the maximum amount of energy from the water flow.

5. What are some potential applications for using energy from water flow?

Energy from water flow can be used for a variety of applications, including generating electricity, powering water pumps for irrigation, and providing energy for industrial processes. It can also be used for recreational purposes, such as in water parks and hydroelectric dams.