Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kind of people a math physics person should date

1. May 14, 2014 #1
    what kind of people should a math and physics date? Should we just date anyone we can get our hands on? I guess I just want the person to be able to hold an interesting conversation. Is there any type of people we should avoid? im pretty open minded.

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2014 #2

wukunlin

Gold Member

mathematicians and physicist aren't different from other human beings.

4. May 14, 2014 #3

adjacent

Gold Member

He wants to hold an interesting conversation with that person. Not everyone can do that,provided that "interesting" here means something else.

5. May 14, 2014 #4

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My wife has a B.Sc. and an M.Sc. in physics, a Master's in materials science engineering, and a B.Ed.

We talk much more about news and politics than we do about science and technology. We both like to read murder-mystery novels and watch murder-mystery movies; again, no connection to our common background.

We do talk regularly about education and changes in education, from primary school through grad school, which is somewhat related to our common background.

6. May 14, 2014 #5
    I am so very sorry, but I laughed so hard I was in tears when I saw the title of this topic :D I think you should date someone you want to date - which means getting to know them and yade yade, it's a lot of field work, I know.

7. May 14, 2014 #6

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I guess that's one criterion !

apartment.jpg
    We should look for people who show honesty and good judgement. We should avoid people who don't. What they do for a living should be irrelevant.
    :uhh: .... naaahhhh ....

8. May 14, 2014 #7
    yhujik

I know what you mean, most of my friends are math or physics majors, they are flesh and blood like everyone else, they have interests beyond math and physics and they all come from different backgrounds. But they are very passionate people.
    I just like being around analytical people they can analyze things and come to interesting conclusions, although ive been around some art people and they have an interesting way of looking at things, I was just wondering what you guys think, I guess I would just like to be with someone who is curious about things. And I like posting stuff on the forums because the people on here have interesting and important things to say,

@lendav_rott: I knew the title was somewhat comical when I created it, but maybe there are certain people math and physics people should avoid or maybe its the same for everyone, just wanted to get some ideas.
    @ jim hardy: so what they do for a living is irrelevant , i agree, wasnt quite sure why you said naaah after it, it seemed like you were negating your statement.

what if someone was mentally unstable, like bi-polar or schizophrenic, I would date them if they were interesting to talk to and if I had a strong connection with them.

Last edited: May 14, 2014
  9. May 15, 2014 #8
    It is unacceptable to date anyone outside of the hard sciences for a mathematician or physicist. Economists are about as far as you can push it. Also, you should refocus your goals away from conversations and to gaining optimal genetic quality for your offspring.

//hehe just joking (yes I know I sux). Why would you ask strangers what kind of people you should date? You're the only one who can decide that. I think if you want somebody to talk to, just talk to allot of people and find somebody you like. Then make a move.

Last edited: May 15, 2014
  10. May 15, 2014 #9
    I like intelligent, petite women who know how to foxtrot and rumba. You're not interviewing them for a tutoring job.

11. May 16, 2014 #10
    i know your not interviewing them for a tutoring job, but as nikitin kinda joked about, you want optimal genetics for your offspring. imagine if you could breed the most clever creative physicists and mathematicians in the world together, imagine what you could create. imagine doing that for many generations. ok that might be overboard

12. May 16, 2014 #11
    Or eugenics.

13. May 23, 2014 #12

I beg to differ

14. May 23, 2014 #13

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Could you expand on this statement?

15. May 24, 2014 #14

Not really

16. May 24, 2014 #15
    I think I can see the concern of the OP. The average college-goer or non-college-educated working person might not put as much thought or value into the aspirations of someone in a very demanding career path like STEM (both as a student and beyond) and is unlikely to be supportive of all the time and sacrifices that are required, unless you're some kind of genius with excellent time management skills such that this is never a problem. It is probably why you never see many STEM people in relationships with non-STEM, or average weekend sports warriors with professional Olympic athletes. Some people just can't handle/won't put up with a partner with time demands like those.

IME, I've never met a non-physicist/mathematician that didn't think I was a little insane for going into physics, it's the unfaltering conversation-killer, while physicists/mathematicians and a very good fraction of engineers, chemists and CS I've known are fairly accepting/understanding.

Last edited: May 24, 2014
  17. May 24, 2014 #16

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

"Naaahhh " - i meant that we're flesh and blood so logic doesn't enter the romantic equation .
    A pretty smile and a toss of the hair will do most guys in.

old jim

18. May 25, 2014 #17
    ya this is a good way to put it.

19. May 30, 2014 #18

Larry Gopnik

Gold Member

If Dirac could find a wife then I'm sure that there is hope for all physics and mathematicians out there!

But yes, I personally find it hard to find friends, let alone a partner -

One piece of advise - don't start dating people that are obsessed with that obscene show "The Big Bang Theory". Been there, done that. Oy Vey. Never again.

Just go for someone who truly understands you. There will be someone.

I thought I had found someone, truly I did. He was also studying Physics and Maths alongside me and we got on so well together and had a lot in common. I really wanted a relationship with him, but he didnt know. (Well, someone ended up telling him after but that's another story). One day I thought he was going to ask me out when we were in town together when he turns around and goes "I'm going to ask out ****". She was a beautiful girl who had nothing in common with him, and was going to study Physiology at Uni. :uhh:. Long story short, at school they would sit and hold hands in silence, having nothing to say. Oh, if only he went out with the less attractive Physics student instead...

So there's a lesson to all of you men, it might just sound like a rant, but I'm sure there is some sort of message in it

20. May 30, 2014 #19
    nerds need other nerds, I know what its like to be around only bubble heads and let me tell you it feels somewhat like taking a bath in fecees lol. hopefully you can find a nerd who is somewhat attractive. I don't consider the comic book/ video game crowd nerds, just people with too much time on their hands. find someone who compliments you.

21. Jun 1, 2014 #20

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

What I'm about to say on this may offend a lot of people here, but frankly so many of the posts on this thread and similar threads in the Relationship thread just comes across to me as being incredibly pathetic. And nothing is more unattractive in an individual of whatever background than someone who is pathetic!

In my opinion, the best way to date people is not that different from the best way to make friends -- go out and talk to and meet a variety of different people, and then select those who are the most interesting to you (of course filtering out those who are clearly crazy or cultists or religious nuts, etc.). It's a numbers game -- ultimately, the probability is good that you will meet someone who is compatible, although it may take some time before you do.

The best alternative is to network through your friends/co-workers/acquaintances and have them introduce you to people.

Of course, all of this is predicated on whether you need to be attached. I have always felt that it is important to never feel like you need to be in a relationship. I see and hear of so many people who are afraid of being alone, which I frankly don't understand -- there is no shame in being alone! Being alone is far, far better than being in a bad relationship!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook