Kinda new to this stuff, is there anything that makes electrons more

• Thread starter Qaiphyx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electrons
In summary: So basically you are saying that the ionization energy can be changed, but it's not really something that can be done?Yes, that's essentially what I'm saying.
Qaiphyx
more... susceptible to ionization?

Basically so that less energy is required for ionization.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Not exactly sure what you mean, but the ionization energy depends on the electron configuration. It takes a lot more energy to add an electron to an atom whose valence shell is completely full than to add an electron to one whose valence shell has one open spot.

So, for example, a Hydrogen atom (H) is very easy to ionize to an H-. That's why you almost never find hydrogen atoms alone; it's almost always found as H2 gas, because the valence shell is then full for both nuclei (protons)

Well, talking in the matter of classic ionization, where you put enough energy into the electron that it leaves the shell.

So as to that, then H2 gas would ionize easier than monoatomic hydrogen right?(removing an electron not adding)

Are there any "catalysts" per say that help this reaction so that less energy will ionize the atoms?

I was also reading about tunnel ionization, there wasnt much information on it though does anyone have a site that explains it more in depth?

I'm not aware of any "catalysts" for changing the ionization energy of an atom. Change the fine structure constant maybe? :)

peter0302 said:
I'm not aware of any "catalysts" for changing the ionization energy of an atom. Change the fine structure constant maybe? :)

Hm, yah I am not to familiar(Still pretty new to all this) with that but reading up on it that kinda sounds what I was wondering about. Do you have any good information sites on this?

How can you change the strength of the electromagnetic interaction?

I was being facetious. You can't.

Ever see the Star Trek TNG episode where Q becomes human? When brainstorming on how to prevent a moon from crashing into the planet, Q said "Change the gravitational constant of the universe." Uh huh.

peter0302 said:
I was being facetious. You can't.

Ever see the Star Trek TNG episode where Q becomes human? When brainstorming on how to prevent a moon from crashing into the planet, Q said "Change the gravitational constant of the universe." Uh huh.

oh, haha gotcha.

1. What are electrons and why are they important in science?

Electrons are subatomic particles that have a negative charge and orbit around the nucleus of an atom. They are important in science because they play a crucial role in chemical reactions and electricity.

2. How do electrons move and what makes them move?

Electrons move in a specific pattern around the nucleus, known as electron shells. They are constantly in motion due to their negative charge, which causes them to be attracted to the positive charge of the nucleus.

3. What is the difference between conductors and insulators when it comes to electrons?

Conductors are materials that allow electrons to flow freely through them, while insulators are materials that impede the flow of electrons. This is because conductors have loosely bound electrons that are easily moved, while insulators have tightly bound electrons that are not easily moved.

4. Can electrons be manipulated or controlled?

Yes, electrons can be manipulated and controlled through various methods such as applying an electric field, using magnets, or through chemical reactions. This is how we are able to harness and use electricity in our daily lives.

5. Are there any factors that can affect the movement of electrons?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the movement of electrons, such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of other atoms or molecules. These factors can impact the speed and direction of electron movement and can also determine whether a material is a conductor or an insulator.