Kinecti energy of the electron

In summary, the hydrogen atom is in ground state when a 15-eV photon interacts with it, transferring all its energy to the electron and freeing it from the atom. The energy of the ejected electron is 1.4 eV and the de Broglie wavelength can be calculated using the formula h/mv. The excess energy of the photon is converted into kinetic energy for the electron. The velocity of the electron is approximately 7.02 E5 m/s.
Xamfy19
Hello, please help with the following question:

the hydrogen atom is in ground state when a 15-eV photon interact with it and all the photon's energy is transferred to the electron,, freeing it from the atom.
a) what is the energy of the ejected electron
b) the de Brogle wavelength of the electron.

I thought the energy is 15ev x 1.6 E-19 = 2.4 E-18 J, however, I am not sure the total energy is turned into kinetic energy

I guess if the total energy is kinetic energy, then I can use 1/2 * mv^2 to get v, then
wavelength = h/mv (where h is Planck's constant)
Am I right?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yep, sounds ok to me!

Xamfy19 said:
Hello, please help with the following question:

the hydrogen atom is in ground state when a 15-eV photon interact with it and all the photon's energy is transferred to the electron,, freeing it from the atom.
a) what is the energy of the ejected electron
b) the de Brogle wavelength of the electron.

I thought the energy is 15ev x 1.6 E-19 = 2.4 E-18 J, however, I am not sure the total energy is turned into kinetic energy

I guess if the total energy is kinetic energy, then I can use 1/2 * mv^2 to get v, then
wavelength = h/mv (where h is Planck's constant)
Am I right?

Thanks.

The total energy of the photon is not converted into kinetic energy. If the electron is in the ground state of hydrogen (something like -13.6 ev as I recall, but check on that) that much energy is needed to free it from the nucleus. Only the excess energy is going to result in kinetic energy.

The amount of energy required to free electron is -13.6 ev, as you mentioned. This left 1.4 eV for kinetic energy. A total of 2.24 x E-19 J (1.4 x 1.6 E-19) is kinetic energy.

v = 7.02 E5 m/v, That's what I got.
Thanks alot

What is the "Kinecti energy of the electron"?

The Kinecti energy of the electron refers to the total energy of an electron in a system, taking into account both its kinetic energy (motion) and potential energy (due to its position in a field or potential). It is often represented as EK + EP.

How is the Kinecti energy of the electron calculated?

The Kinecti energy of the electron can be calculated using the equation E = 1/2mv2 + qV, where m is the mass of the electron, v is its velocity, q is its charge, and V is the potential at its location.

What is the significance of the Kinecti energy of the electron?

The Kinecti energy of the electron is important because it determines the behavior and properties of electrons in a system. It affects how electrons move, interact with each other and with other particles, and how they contribute to the overall energy of a system.

How does the Kinecti energy of the electron differ from the potential energy of the electron?

The Kinecti energy of the electron is a combination of both kinetic and potential energy, while the potential energy of the electron refers specifically to the energy that results from its position in a field or potential. The kinetic energy of the electron, on the other hand, is a result of its motion.

Can the Kinecti energy of the electron be measured or observed?

The Kinecti energy of the electron cannot be directly measured or observed, but it can be calculated using the appropriate equations. However, the effects of the Kinecti energy of the electron can be observed through various experiments and observations of electron behavior in different systems.