Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinematic equation

1. Dec 3, 2004 #1
    in a kinematic equation when you throw a ball up and it reaches its highest point its velocity becomes zero how long is it zero
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In the idealized description of the trajectory, its speed is zero instantaneously, i.e. the duration of zero speed is itself zero! Ultimately, of course, your measurements have limited resolution and air turbulence will contribute to uncertainty.
  4. Dec 3, 2004 #3
    or more simply, the velocity is always changing, it is never constant, so the velocity never stays at any value. It passes through the value zero at a certain time,but it does not stay that value.
  5. Dec 3, 2004 #4
    in my thinking that there are infinite numbers so you could measure time presicely infinite so something being instantanous would not be possible
  6. Dec 3, 2004 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

"measure time precisely infinite" makes no sense. In any case, I would think "there are infinite numbers" would mean that you CAN have something "instantaneous"- that's basically what non-standard analysis is about.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?