1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinematic Equations 2 balls

1. Oct 4, 2011 #1
    This problem has been giving me problems for the past two days and I cant figure it out :( please help. this is my first ever physics class.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A rubber ball is shot straight up from the ground with speed v_0. Simultaneously, a second rubber ball at height h directly above the first ball is dropped from rest.

Known:
    V_0 and Height of origional ball drop
    y_coll= h- ((gh^2)/(2v_0)^2)
    find:
    h_max

2. Relevant equations

Vx= Vxi+ax (tf-ti)
    Xf=Xi + Vxi + 1/2 ax (tf-ti)^2
    Vxf^2= Vxi^2+ 2ax (Xf-Xi)

3. The attempt at a solution

I got to the point where I found what I thought was h_max and got

hmax= (V_0^2/g)- 1/2*V_0^2

the website I am working on told me I am missing a term but I cant figure out what I am missing. :(

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2011 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

The question is, what is the question? You didn't state what it is you're trying to find!

4. Oct 4, 2011 #3
    how to find h_max

5. Oct 4, 2011 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Yes, but what is h_max supposed to represent?

6. Oct 4, 2011 #5
    the maximum value of h for which a collision occurs before the first ball falls back to the ground?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  7. Oct 4, 2011 #6

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I would have never guessed that.

8. Oct 4, 2011 #7

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If a ball is shot vertically upward, with initial velocity, v0, how long does it take the ball to return to its initial location?

9. Oct 4, 2011 #8
    I know this book and website combination is not the most helpful thing in the world. Whaat I have done so far is pluged in Hmax for the Xf of the second kinematic equation and when I solved it I ended up getting v_0^2/g-1/2 v_o^2 which got me to where it said I was close but I was either missing a term or it was incorrect and I cant figure out whats wrong so I guess my question should be...what am I doing wrong

10. Oct 4, 2011 #9
    sorry I didnt see that question...I am not sure the only thing I can think of is time final-time initial but that wouldnt help me. I really dont know

from what I can think of it would equal the velocity over the gravity

11. Oct 4, 2011 #10

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If it wouldn't help, I wouldn't have asked it. It will definitely help to work that out.

12. Oct 4, 2011 #11
    what I meant to say is my answer wasnt going to help me sorry for the unclarity

13. Oct 4, 2011 #12
    I finnaly figured it out...thank you guys for the guidence

14. Oct 4, 2011 #13

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Good. The collision should occur just before the first rubber gets back to ground level.

15. Oct 4, 2011 #14
    yeah thats what I got

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook