1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinematic Equations problems!

1. Sep 4, 2006 #1
    Im a 1st year physics student in the 11th grade. I havent had much trouble with the assignment, but for some reason i cannot get the correct solution on this problem.

A certain car is capable of accelerating at a rate of 0.57 m/s2. How long does it take for this car to go from a speed of 53 m/h to a speed of 68 m/h? Anser in units of s.

I would assume that the correct kinematic equation to use would be v=v.+a(t) if .57 is the acceleration/ 53 is v./ and 68 is v........., but when I do that I get the wrong answer, if you could help and tell me what im doing wrong I would appreciate it! =)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

re-write that equation using algebra to solve for t. Becareful of your units. Your vi and vf are given in meters per hour, but your acceleration is given in meters / s2. You want your answer to be in seconds.
  4. Sep 4, 2006 #3
    You have the right equation. What answer are you getting? Maybe you're not converting from mph to m/s?
  5. Sep 4, 2006 #4
    im getting 26. 31578947. so would i divide that number by 120? im not wery good at doing unit conversions.
  6. Sep 4, 2006 #5

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I get that answer if I do (68-53) / .57

So your problem is the units. 68 and 53 are in m/h and .57 is in m/s2

Don't confuse meters with miles. Re-read the question. I'd find it surprising that they'd give you a problem where the car's initial and final velocities are about the speed with which an ant crawls. Should it really take the car a full hour to drive half the length of a football field?
  7. Sep 4, 2006 #6

Check your using the right unit conversions. Is the acceleration in meter per second^2? Is your velocity miles per hour or meters per hour? This would change your answer alot.
  8. Sep 4, 2006 #7
    It's best to convert the velocities you're given. 1 mile is 1.6 km. You should be able to get velocities in metres/s, then use v=v.+at.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?