Solving Kinematic Movement Equation: Bike Acceleration

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a bike accelerating uniformly from rest to a speed of 7.10 m/s over a distance of 35.4 m. The question is to determine the acceleration of the bike. Two different equations are used to solve the problem, one using final velocity and time and the other using final velocity and distance. The difference in the answers is due to using final velocity instead of average velocity in the latter equation.
FelixLudi
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Template is shown
Hi,
It's my first post here on the forum and I'm just looking for an answer to a basic kinematic movement equation.

This is the text of a problem:
"A bike accelerates uniformly from rest to a speed of 7.10 m/s over a distance of 35.4 m. Determine the acceleration of the bike."

Now, in the solution, they used v2=v02+2*a*s.
(s=d, v=vf, v0=vi)
To derive from that:
v2=2*a*s
v2/2*s=a

(7,1m/s)2/2*35,4m=a
50,41/70,8=a
a=0,712m/s2

Now my question is how I got a different answer by using a different equation, i.e.
a=v/t
a=v/(s/v)
a=7,1/(35.4/7.1)
a=7.1/4,985
a=1.424m/s2

What is the difference/mistake here that I/they did to get a different result?
Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
FelixLudi said:
Now my question is how I got a different answer by using a different equation, i.e.
a=v/t
a=v/(s/v)

In these equations you are using ##v## as final speed ##a=v/t## and as average speed ##t=s/v##.

Last edited:
But if I use a=vt then I will get m/s * s = m so vt should equal to s instead of a.
By that I mean shouldn't vt be equal to s and not a.

I don't understand what did I do wrong.

Edit: If I use a=vt then a=v*(s/v) which is basically a=s.

FelixLudi said:
But if I use a=vt then I will get m/s * s = m so vt should equal to s instead of a.
By that I mean shouldn't vt be equal to s and not a.

I don't understand what did I do wrong.

Sorry, I had a typo. I meant ##a = v/t##, of course.

##vt \ne s## if ##v## is final speed.

For example. You go out in your car and crawl through traffic for nearly an hour. Finally, you get onto a clear road and accelerate to ##100km/h##. So, you say:

My speed is ##v = 100km/h##

I've been driving for ##t = 1## hour.

Therefore, the distance I've driven is ##s = vt = 100km##

But, you might have only driven a few kms. In any case, you can't use your final speed to calculate how far you have driven.

Likes lekh2003
FelixLudi said:
a=v/t
a=v/(s/v)

You have calculated t from s/v but that only works if v is the average velocity. In this problem v is the final velocity not the average.

In this problem the velocity increases from 0 to v in a straight line (constant acceleration) so the average velocity is v/2 and your equation becomes

a = v/(s/v/2)
= v2/2s

which is the same equation as method 1).

Likes PeroK
Oh, so it has to be average speed instead of final speed?
Didn't even notice that factor.

Thank you very much.

1. What is the kinematic movement equation for bike acceleration?

The kinematic movement equation for bike acceleration is v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

2. How is acceleration calculated for a bike?

Acceleration for a bike can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. This can be represented by the equation a = (v-u)/t.

3. Can you explain the meaning of each variable in the kinematic movement equation for bike acceleration?

In the equation v = u + at, v represents the final velocity, u represents the initial velocity, a represents the acceleration, and t represents the time. This equation is used to calculate the final velocity of a bike given its initial velocity, acceleration, and time.

4. How is the kinematic movement equation used to solve for acceleration in real-life scenarios?

In real-life scenarios, the kinematic movement equation can be used to solve for acceleration by plugging in known values for v, u, and t and solving for a. This can help determine the rate at which a bike is accelerating or decelerating in a given amount of time.

5. Are there any limitations to using the kinematic movement equation for bike acceleration?

There are some limitations to using the kinematic movement equation for bike acceleration. This equation assumes that the acceleration is constant and that there are no external forces acting on the bike. In real-life scenarios, these assumptions may not hold true, leading to less accurate results.