Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinematic Equations

1. Feb 4, 2016 #1
    Hello Forum,
    the kinematic equations for motion with constant acceleration are vector equations which can each be expanded into 3 scalar (or component equations). The vector equations are:

v_f = v_0 + a (Delta_t)

r_f
    = r_0 + v_0 (Delta_t) + (0.5) a (Delta_t)^2

r_f
    = r_0 + (0.5) (v_f + v_0) (Delta_t)

From these three vector equation we can write the corresponding scalar equations for the x,y and z components.

What about the scalar equation (v_f)^2 = (v_0)^2 +2a (x_f -x_0) ? It can be written for each scalar component.
    What is the corresponding vector equation for it from which it comes from?

thanks
    fog37

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2016 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

That is, $$v_{xf}^2 = v_{x0}^2 + 2a_x (x_f - x_0) \\ v_{yf}^2 = v_{y0}^2 + 2a_y (y_f - y_0) \\ v_{zf}^2 = v_{z0}^2 + 2a_z (z_f - z_0)$$ Add the three equations together. Are you familiar with the vector dot product?

4. Feb 4, 2016 #3
    Thanks! I see how the addition of the three gives a single equation with dot products:

[ v_f dot v_f ] = [ v_0 dot v_0 ]+ 2 [a dot (r_f - r_0) ]

correct? Where does this equation come from? I guess it derives from that single differential equation dv/dt = a ....

5. Feb 4, 2016 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

I think you can get it by combining two of the equations in your first post. Note which variable is "missing" from this equation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook