How Long Until the Second Car Overtakes the First?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve a problem involving two cars accelerating from rest at different rates and determining when the second car will overtake the first car. The suggested method involves setting the position equations of each car equal to each other and solving for the time. However, the answer given in the book does not match the answer obtained using this method, suggesting that there may be a mistake in the book's answer.
skoomafiend

Homework Statement

A car starts from rest and accelerates uniformly at 3 m/s2. A second car starts from rest 6 s later at the same point and accelerates uniformly at 5 m/s2. How long does it take the second car to overtake the first car?
How would I solve this? If someone can break it down step by step, it would be great.

Homework Equations

x=x0 + v0t + 1/2at2

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried solving it by using the above formula and solving for t. Didnt quite work out.

car 1's time = car two's time +6 and then solving for t.

Physics news on Phys.org
Find the position of the first car. Then, use that distance and set it equal to the position equation of the second car to find the time.

I don't understand what you are saying, can you clarify please? How would I find the distance with the information given?

Find the velocity of the first

find the position of the first car in relation to what? the initial 6 second lead?

Correct, the position with the 6 second lead

(3/2)t2= (5/2)(t- 6)2

I've tried solving for this, doesn't seem to match that answer given at the back of the book.
Am I doing something wrong?

What's the answer? Where are you getting those numbers?

a1=3m/s2
a2=5m/s2

t2=(t1- 6) ...t1 is the time for the first car, then t2 left 6 seconds after the car, so it had ( t1- 6 ) seconds to get to the same position (at which point it would overtake car1)

x = x0 + v0t + 1/2at12
x = 0 + 0 + 1/2(3)t12
x = (3/2)t12

and for car two it is..

x = 0 + 0 + 1/2(5)( t1 - 6 )2
x = (5/2)( t1 - 6 )2

so that means that x would be the same distance, given these times

(3/2)t12 = (5/2)( t1 - 6 )2

The answer at the back of the book is 22.7 s
That is not the answer I get when I solve for this.

1. What is the definition of kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects and their spatial and temporal characteristics without taking into account the causes of this motion.

2. What are the basic kinematic formulas?

The basic kinematic formulas include distance formula (d = v * t), velocity formula (v = d/t), acceleration formula (a = (vf - vi)/t), and time formula (t = (vf - vi)/a).

3. How do I solve a kinematic formula problem?

To solve a kinematic formula problem, you need to identify the known variables, choose the appropriate formula, plug in the values, and solve for the unknown variable. It is important to pay attention to units and use the correct formula for the given situation.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving kinematic formula problems?

Some common mistakes when solving kinematic formula problems include using the wrong formula, not paying attention to units, and not considering the direction of motion. It is also important to double check the final answer to make sure it makes sense in the given context.

5. Can kinematic formulas be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, kinematic formulas can be applied to real-life situations to analyze and predict the motion of objects. For example, they can be used in sports to calculate the trajectory of a ball, or in engineering to design efficient transportation systems.