Kinematic/Isolating Problem

• Thread starter CanadianPhys
  • Start date
In summary, the student is having trouble isolating variables in their physics class and is seeking help before a quiz. They are specifically struggling with isolating v1 in the equation d=(v1+v2/2)t. Another student suggests getting t on the other side of the equation, but the original student is unsure if this is possible. However, they are able to successfully isolate v1 by themselves and the final answer is v1= d/t - 1/2at^2.
CanadianPhys

Homework Statement

Alright so I'm in grade 11 Phys Uni-prep class(in Canada so I am like 10x behind comparing to the states) and I'm having troubles Isolating some stuff.

Homework Equations

Eg.
d=(v1+v2/2)t
So let's say I want to isolate v1. I know how to isolate it for t which would be
d/v1+v2/2=t

The Attempt at a Solution

So my attempt for isolating v1 would be wrong which i already know.
v1=... from d=(v1+v2/2)t

Plz need some help before thrusday, have a small quiz
I know what to do when I get the numbers, just some of the isolation stuff I am iffy about.
ty

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Lets get the t on the other side:

[tex]d/t = v_1 + {v_2}/2[/tex]

Does this help??

Sam

possibly,
but i was hoping(im not sure if this is possible I am just giviing myself random questions to do)
v1=...

i got it :)

the answer was
v1= d/t - 1/2at^2

i did it step by step and i did it

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the causes of the motion. It involves analyzing the position, velocity, and acceleration of objects over time.

2. How is kinematics different from dynamics?

Kinematics only focuses on the description of motion, while dynamics also takes into account the forces that cause the motion. Kinematics is often used as a starting point for solving problems in dynamics.

3. What is an isolating problem in kinematics?

An isolating problem in kinematics refers to a problem where the only unknown quantity is the one being solved for. This means that all other variables, such as time, velocity, and acceleration, are known and can be used to find the solution.

4. How do you solve an isolating problem in kinematics?

To solve an isolating problem in kinematics, you need to identify the known and unknown variables, and then use equations that relate these variables to solve for the unknown. These equations include the equations of motion, such as the equations for displacement, velocity, and acceleration.

5. What are some common applications of kinematics?

Kinematics is used in many fields, including engineering, robotics, sports science, and video game design. It is used to analyze and optimize movement, such as the trajectory of a projectile, the motion of a vehicle, or the movement of a human body. It is also used in the development of virtual reality and animation.