1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinematic Problem verification

1. Mar 23, 2005 #1
    I'm working on this problem and I've came up with a solution but however I couldn't find anything else to verify the problem so if you could let me know if I did it correctly and help me on the right track what would be super.

The problem goes as folllow: A player is shooting a ball into a net, he shooting with a 45 degree angle and is 4m away from the net and the net is one meter up. How fast must he throw the ball for it to go in (initial speed).

I used the equation: D=v1*t+1/2*a*t^2 and split it into X and Y which gives me these equations:
    Y: 1=v1*t+1/2*(-9.8)*t^2 (we allways assume -9.8m/s^2 for gravity)
    X: 4=v1*t+1/2* (0) *t^2
    and solved it gived me 5.11 m/s but since that the X/Y speed we want the longest line of the triangle so I do
    So my answer would be 7.22957m/s

Is this correct or I am way off?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2005 #2
    [tex] x(t) = V_0cos(45)t [/tex]
    [tex] y(t) = V_0sin(45)t + \frac{gt^2}{2} [/tex]

You want x(t) to be 4
    and y(t) to be 1

You should get a system of equations which you solve for V_0. Your answer seems a bit high.
  4. Mar 23, 2005 #3
    The second formula should be :

[tex] y(t) = V_0sin(45)t - \frac{gt^2}{2} [/tex]

because the y-axis is pointing upwards and gravity is downwards

5. Mar 23, 2005 #4
    What I would probably do is calculate your time of flight. You are travelling 4m right and 1m up.

[tex] T_{flight} = sqrt{\frac{2h}{g}} [/tex] from the equation you provided.

Then take the time of flight, divide the distance travelled in the x direction by it and you'll get [tex] V_x [/tex]
  6. Mar 23, 2005 #5
    Hey thanks for you help. I used the equations and I got 7.22957m/s aswell so I'm guessing it's safe to assume I got the right answer? Thanks for your help, it's really nice to have resources like this forums to get some help :)

edit: I just saw your last reply whozum, give me time to check with your equations aswell and I'll get back to you guy with the answer I get.

edit2: Sorry but what does the h stand for in that equation? I'm guessing the G stand for gravity which in my case would be -9.8m/s
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2005
  7. Mar 23, 2005 #6
    h is the height to travel, h=1m

For V in the x direction

[tex] T = sqrt{2h/g} = sqrt{2/9.8} = 0.452 [/tex]

[tex] d = 4m, t = 0.452s, v = d/t [/tex]

[tex] v_x = \frac{4m}{0.452s} = 8.85m/s [/tex]

For V in the y direction

[tex] y(t) = V_ysin(45)t+\frac{gt^2}{2} [/tex]

Solving for V_y:

[tex] V_y = \frac{1-\frac{gt^2}{2}}{sin(45)t} [/tex]

[tex] V_y = \frac{1-\frac{(-9.8)(0.452)^2}{2}}{sin(45)(0.452)} [/tex]

[tex] V^2 = V_x^2+V_y^2 [/tex]
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2005
  8. Mar 23, 2005 #7
    Well that's gives me the Sqrt of -.204082 which is a non-real number.
  9. Mar 23, 2005 #8
    Take g to be positive 9.8 instead of -9.8. Look at my work above.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?