Solve Kinematic Problem with Friction Along Curve | Mass Included

• Thread starter mrh584
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematic
In summary, kinematics is the branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion. Friction is a force that opposes the motion of an object and is often necessary to consider when solving kinematic problems. A curve in kinematics refers to any path or trajectory that an object follows. To solve a kinematic problem with friction along a curve, one must use equations of motion, Newton's laws of motion, and the concept of friction. Mass is an important factor in kinematic problems as it affects the acceleration of an object. Including mass in kinematic problems allows for a more accurate and realistic analysis of motion.
mrh584
Please see the attached problem I came up with. I've done similar problems to this in school, but never with the frictional force acting along a curve. I'm wondering if my solution is valid, or if the integral needs some work?

And I just realized I left out the mass [M] in the normal force equation, and all other equations that use it.

Attachments

• Kinematic Energy.doc
    32.5 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your solution is wright. Find the integral and substitute the limits,and get the result..

I would first like to commend you for taking on a challenging problem and seeking feedback on your solution. Solving kinematic problems with friction along a curve can be tricky, and it is important to make sure all variables and equations are accounted for.

Upon reviewing your solution, I have noticed that you did indeed leave out the mass [M] in the normal force equation and other equations that use it. This is a crucial variable that cannot be omitted as it affects the magnitude of the normal force and ultimately, the frictional force.

To ensure the validity of your solution, I would recommend going back and including the mass [M] in all relevant equations. This will provide a more accurate and complete solution to the problem. Additionally, it may be helpful to double-check your integral to ensure all variables and constants are properly accounted for.

In conclusion, your approach to the problem is valid, but it is important to include all relevant variables and equations in order to obtain an accurate solution. Keep up the good work in tackling challenging problems and seeking feedback to improve your skills as a scientist.

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. How is friction involved in kinematic problems?

Friction is a force that opposes the motion of an object. In kinematic problems, it is often necessary to consider friction because it can affect the speed and acceleration of an object.

3. What is a curve in kinematics?

A curve in kinematics refers to any path or trajectory that an object follows. It can be a straight line, a circle, or any other shape.

4. How do you solve a kinematic problem with friction along a curve?

To solve a kinematic problem with friction along a curve, you will need to use equations of motion, Newton's laws of motion, and the concept of friction. First, draw a free body diagram of the object and identify all the forces acting on it. Then, use the equations to solve for the unknown variables, taking into account the effects of friction.

5. What is the importance of including mass in kinematic problems?

Mass is an important factor in kinematic problems because it affects the acceleration of an object. Objects with larger mass require more force to accelerate, while objects with smaller mass accelerate more easily. Including mass in kinematic problems allows for a more accurate and realistic analysis of the motion of objects.