1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinematic problems !

1. Sep 22, 2003 #1
    Kinematic problems!!!!!!

hi there,here is my problem

The police observe that the skid marks of a stopping car are 200m long. Assuming the car decelerated at a constant rate of 20m/s^2,skidding all the way, how fast was the car going when the brakes were applied?

i think we can solve the problem by using the physics equation v^2=u^2+(2*(a*s)).......and
    i try to use integration but the time interval isn't given so i am just looking for an alternative way to solve this problem.........by the way ,this is a calculus assignment.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2003 #2
    Im getting Vi as 88.5 m/s
  4. Sep 22, 2003 #3
    yes i got 89 something too.......but i just wonder if this problem can be done by integration?

but thx anyway
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2003
  5. Sep 22, 2003 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Here is a solution which uses integration. It starts with the basic fact that this is a problem with a constant acceleration and integrates the basic differential equation to arrive at the solution.
  6. Sep 22, 2003 #5
    thx integral it really help! :) thx a lot
  7. Sep 23, 2003 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Because this is a constant acceleration problem (so that the velocity function is linear), you can use the "average" velocity.

Let v be the initial speed. Of course, the ending speed is 0 so the "average" speed, the average of those two numbers, is v/2.

Letting t be the (unknown) time required to stop, the distance is
    (v/2)t= 200 m.

And we do know the time- in a sense. At an acceleration of -20 m/s^2, to go from v to 0 requires (since 0= v- 20t) v/20 sec.

Putting that into (v/2)t= 200 gives v^2/40= 200 or v^2= 8000.

v= [sqrt](8000)= [sqrt](1600*5)= 40[sqrt](5)= 89.4 m/s

If you're not really sure about that "average" speed, here's the standard way:

With acceleration a, the distance travelled is d= (a/2)t^2+ vt.
    (You could say we use integration to get that.)

In this problem, -10t^2+ vt= 200.

Again, since the time taken to slow from v to 0 with acceleration
    -20 m/s^2 is v/20 sec., we have (-10)v^2/400+ v^2/20= 200.
    That is, -v^2/40+ v^2/20= v^2/40= 200 so v^2= 8000 again.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?