1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinematic problems

1. Sep 27, 2005 #1
    The human body can survive a negative acceleration trauma incident if the magnitude of the acceleration is less than 250 m/s^2. If you are in an automobile accident at an initial speed of 96 km/h and are stopped by an airbag that inflates from the dashboard, over what distance must the airbag stop you for you to survive the crash?

So I know that [itex] v_{0} = 96 [/itex], [itex] v_{x} = 0 [/itex] and [itex] a_{x} = 250 [/itex]. So is it correct to say [itex] v_{x} = v_{x}_{0} + a_{x}t [/itex] to find the time, or [itex] 0 = 96-250t [/itex] and [itex] t = 0.384 sec [/itex]? Then you use [itex] x-x_{0} = v_{x}_{0}t + \frac{1}{2}a_{x}t^{2} [/itex] and you get the distance to be [itex] 18.432 m [/itex]

Is this correct?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2005 #2
    any ideas?

4. Sep 27, 2005 #3
    change 96 km/h to m/s.

5. Sep 27, 2005 #4
    I would do the above suggestion and use this equation... it's faster.

[tex]V_{f}^2=V_{0}^2+2ad[/tex]

6. Sep 27, 2005 #5
    A car 3.5 m in length and traveling at a constant speed of 20 m/s is approaching an intersection. The width of the intersection is 20 m. The light turns yellow when the front of the car is 50 m from the beginning of the intersection. If the driver steps on the brake, the car will slow at -4.2 m/s^2. If the driver instead steps on the gas pedal, the car will accelerate at 1.5 m/s^2. The light will be yellow for 3.0 s. Ignore the reaction time of the driver. To avoid being in the intersection while the light is red, should the driver hit the brake pedal or gas pedal?

Could somone give me a general idea of where to start, and a general problem solving strategy?

Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?