Kinematic Question: Find Avg. Accel. of Particle

• Thread starter Harmony
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematic
In summary, The problem is to find the magnitude and direction of the average acceleration of a particle with an initial velocity of 15 ms-1 along the Ox direction, and a final velocity of 15 ms-1 at an angle of 60 degrees to the Ox direction after 5.0 seconds. The solution involves considering the components of the velocities and using the definition of average acceleration, which is the change in velocity divided by the change in time. This can be solved using a vector triangle or graphically, with the result being an acceleration of 3.0 ms-2 at 120 degrees to the Ox direction.
Harmony
I am currently studying Kinematic Chapter and I am facing problem in the following question:
The initial velocity of a particle is 15ms-1 along the Ox direction(Ox is a straight line). After 5.0 s its velocity is 15 ms-1 at an angle of 60 degree to the Ox direction. Find the magnitude and direction of the average acceleration of particles.

The answer given is 3.0 ms-2 at 120 degree to ox direction, but I don't know the steps. Please help me.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have given an initial velocity and a direction, but you have not provided any information as to the forces, time or distance.

What is the coordinate system - Cartesian (x,y) where O would be origin, x is horizontal and y is vertical?

Is the projection in a gravitational field, e.g. Earth's gravity field?

Is one considering or neglecting air resistance?

Sorry, typing mistake. I have forgotten to include a sentence. The actual question is:
The initial velocity of a particle is 15ms-1 along the Ox direction(Ox is a straight line). After 5.0 s its velocity is 15 ms-1 at an angle of 60 degree to the Ox direction. Find the magnitude and direction of the average acceleration of particles.

Original post has been edited.

The definition of average acceleration is:
[tex]\vec{a}_{ave} \equiv \Delta \vec{v} / \Delta t[/tex]

Well, the question has given me the time, which is 5 second. But i can't see any changes in speed, since initial velocity is same as the final velocity, only the direction is different. Should I consider different components of the velocity(after the direction has changed)?

Velocity is a vector. The final speed is the same, but not the velocity.

Of course you must consider the components. Write the final and intial velocities in terms of their components. Then find the change in velocity: [tex]\Delta \vec{v} = \vec{v}_f - \vec{v}_i[/tex].

(Or you can solve it graphically.)

Thanks for the advises. I have figured it out.

can you pls show the steps.i can't figure it out especially the velocities in terms of components.
thanx

Actually,the initial velocity, the final velocity and the change of velocity form a vector triangle. You can use the vector diagram to solve the question, as every side of the vector triangle has the same magnitude.
So,the change of velocity will be 15ms-1,and the time taken will be 5 second. The acceleration=15ms-1/5s=3ms-2.
Unfortunately I don't know how to insert the vector diagram in my post.

One more thing: The change of velocity is equals to vector of the final velocity minus the vector of the initial velocity.

Last edited:

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects, without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. How do you find the average acceleration of a particle?

The average acceleration of a particle is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula is: average acceleration = (final velocity - initial velocity) / time interval.

3. Can you explain the difference between average and instantaneous acceleration?

Average acceleration is the overall change in velocity over a given time interval, while instantaneous acceleration is the acceleration at a specific moment in time. It is similar to the difference between average speed and instant speed.

4. What is the SI unit for acceleration?

The SI unit for acceleration is meters per second squared (m/s²).

5. How does mass affect the acceleration of a particle?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of a particle is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that a particle with a larger mass will have a smaller acceleration compared to a particle with a smaller mass if the same amount of force is applied.