1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinematics (3 in 1)

1. Sep 15, 2004 #1
    Here there are 3 related problems which I need help with them :

37. Imagine that you are driving toward an intersection at a speed v_i just as the light changes from green to yellow. Assuming a response time of 0.6 s and an acceleration of -6.9 m/s^2, write an expression for the smallest distance (S_s) from the corner in which you could stop in time. How much is that if you are traveling 35 km/h?

I suggest this expression :
    S_s= (v_i) (0.6 s) - [((v_i)^2) / 2a ]
    And 12.67 as the numeric answer for the second part.

38. Considering the previous problem, it should be clear that the yellow light might reasonably be set for a time t_y, which is long enough for a car to traverse the distance equal to both S_s and the width of the intersection S_I.
    Assuming a constant speed v_i equal to the legal limit, write an equation for t_y, which is independent of S_s.

I just don't get this one.

40. With problems 37 and 38 in mind, how long should the yellow light stay lit if we assume a driver response time of 0.6 s, an acceleration of -6.9 m/s^2, a speed of 35 km/h, and an intersection 25 m wide ? Which of the several contributing aspects requires the greatest time ?

I don't understand this one too.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You wrote "-" in the formula but clearly intended "+" (and used + to get 12.67)

38. You already have a formula for S_s. S_i is just some (given) fixed number. The distance you need to "traverse" as speed v_i is just the sum of those:
    (v_i) (0.6 s) + [((v_i)^2) / 2a ] + S_i. What time is needed to go that distance at constant speed v_i ?

40. Now that you have finished 38 (what happened to 39?) just put the numbers you are given: v_i= 35, S_i= 25, etc. into the formula.
  4. Sep 15, 2004 #3
    Yet there are 2 questions for me.
    1. The formula for t_y ( problem 38 ) is not INDEPENDENT of S_s as the problem asks to be (our formula is : (v_i) (0.6 s) + [((v_i)^2) / 2a ] + S_i which is equivalently (v_i) (0.6 s) + [ S_s ] + S_i ).
    2. Which of the several contributing aspects requires the greatest time ?
    I think it's v_i, isn't it ?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?