How far above the release point will the ball and stone pass each other?

In summary, the problem involves a ball thrown vertically upward with an initial speed of 19 m/s and a stone thrown straight up from the same initial height with an initial speed of 31 m/s. Using kinematic equations and the given values for time and acceleration, the ball reaches a height of 13.82 m after 0.97 s. The stone is thrown at this point and after solving for time using the equation v=v0+at, the time is found to be 0.643 s. Plugging this time into the equation x=x0+v0t+0.5at^2, the final answer is found to be 17.9 m for the distance above the release point where the ball and
meggy8716
I know I should be able to do this problem but for some reason it's not clicking with me...please help!

Homework Statement

a ball is thrown vertically upward with an initial speed of 19 m/s. Then, .97 s later, a stone is thrown straight up (from the same inital height as the ball) with an inital speed of 31 m/s. How far above the release point will the ball and stone pass each other. Answer is units of m. Gravity is -9.8 m/s^2.

Homework Equations

I tried using v^2=v0^2*2ax and x=x0+v0t+0.5at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved 19(.97)+0.5(-9.8)(.97)^2 and got 13.82 m for the ball after .97 s.

After this I got lost and didn't know what to do. I know this means that when the ball is at 13.82 m/s that the stone is just being thrown. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have a graphing calculator? If so that might be a handy visualization tool.

You are going to have two kinematic equations with distance as a function of time, and you want where they intersect. You will will probably end up with two answers, which means that one won't make sense and should be thrown out.

I used to have one but I have no clue where it is at anymore. We aren't aloud to have them in this class so I have kinda lost track of it while I was moving.

Well, your first equation looks okay if you put the time parameter back in.

What does the second one look like?

I actually figured it out today right after class (guess it got me in the right type of mode to do it). Sometimes I just don't look at them the way I should be. But what I ended up doing is plugging in 19 m/s for v, -9.8 for g (a) and 0.97 in for t into the equation
v = v0 + at
This gave me the answer of the velocity being 9.494 m/s when the ball is at 0.97 s and 13.82 m.
Next, I plugged these numbers into the eqation
x = x0+ v0t + 0.5at^2
and set this equal to the other side. this ended up looking like
13.82 + 9.494t + 0 = 0+ 31t+ 0
solving for t I got 0.643 s.

finally, I plugged all these numbers I solved for into
x = x0 + v0t +0.5at^2
this looked like
13.82 + 9.494 (0.643) + 0.5 (-9.8) (0.643)^2
The final answer ended up being 17.9 m.

=)

1. What is Kinematics ball problem?

Kinematics ball problem is a type of physics problem that involves the motion of a ball. It typically includes information about the initial position, velocity, and acceleration of the ball, and asks for information about its motion at a later time.

2. What are the key concepts in solving Kinematics ball problems?

The key concepts in solving Kinematics ball problems include understanding the equations of motion, such as displacement, velocity, and acceleration, as well as applying the principles of vectors and Newton's laws of motion.

3. How do I approach solving a Kinematics ball problem?

The first step in solving a Kinematics ball problem is to carefully read and understand the given information, including the initial conditions and the question being asked. Then, you can use the relevant equations and principles to set up and solve the problem.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving Kinematics ball problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving Kinematics ball problems include using the wrong equations, not paying attention to units, and making incorrect assumptions about the motion of the ball. It's important to double check your work and make sure it aligns with the given information.

5. How can I check the accuracy of my solution for a Kinematics ball problem?

You can check the accuracy of your solution for a Kinematics ball problem by plugging in the values you calculated back into the given equations and making sure they satisfy the initial conditions. You can also compare your solution to the expected answer, if provided.