1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinematics balloon problem

1. Dec 20, 2006 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A balloon is rising vertically at a constant speed of 21 m/s. A stone is dropped from the balloon. The stone strikes the ground 10 seconds later. Assuming that air resistance is negligible and that acceleration on earth due to gravity is 9.8 m/s2, from what height is the stone dropped?

2. Relevant equations

v = u + at
    dv/dt = a
    dx/dt = v

3. The attempt at a solution

This is screwing with my head. It's an obvious displacement problem, but where would you set the origin, to which the displacement is relative?

Here's my attempt:

The acceleration of the stone at any time is 9.8, and because this is constant
    acceleration, v = u + at where a = 9.8 and u = 0 (because if you haven't dropped the stone yet, it must have a velocity of 0) .:. v = 9.8t

Integrating that you get x = 9.8(t^2/2) + c .:. x = 4.9t^2 + c

Here's where I run into trouble. WHERE IS THE ORIGIN?? Is it at the ground? At the balloon? At the height from which the stone is dropped? How do I define the displacement?

I tried x = 0 at the ground .:. x = 0 when t = 10 .:. 0 = 4.9(100) + c

.:. c = 490

so x = 4.9t^2 + 490

So the displacement at any time is equal to 4.9t^2 + 490.

We know that the stone is dropped after 0 seconds, so the height from which the stone is dropped would be a height of 490 metres, according to what I came up with.

If I'm wrong, could you please point out where I went wrong? In my approach I completely ignored the fact that the balloon rises at 21m/s. Is that part relevant?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 20, 2006 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Taking the orgin to be at a height of zero is perfectly OK. Ignoring the initial speed of the stone is not OK--it's not zero! (What's the initial speed of the stone?)

Choose a coordinate system and sign convention, such as "up is positive; down is negative". Note that the acceleration would be -9.8 m/s^2.
  4. Dec 20, 2006 #3
    Thanks a lot. I'll revise what I did, then:

The initial speed of the stone is 21m/s, if I'm re-evaluating correctly. The acceleration is -9.8m/s^2.

The velocity is -9.8t + c ==> at t = 0, v = 21 ==> 21 = c so:

v = -9.8t + 21

Integrate to get X (displacement) = -9.8(t^2/2) + 21t + c
    = -4.9t^2 + 21t + c

x = 0 when t = 10 ==> 0 = -490 + 210 + c ==> c = 280

x = -4.9t^2 + 21t + 280

At x = h, t = 0: h = 280

280 metres?

If it's correct, thanks a lot. If it's not, thanks anyway.
  5. Dec 20, 2006 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Looks good.
  6. Dec 20, 2006 #5
    Okay, awesome.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?