How do I determine the height from which the stone is dropped?

In summary: Thank you!In summary, the stone is dropped from a height of 280 meters after 10 seconds and the displacement at any time is equal to -4.9t^2 + 21t + 280, taking into account the initial speed of 21 m/s and the acceleration due to gravity of -9.8 m/s^2. The origin is chosen to be at a height of zero and the initial velocity of the stone is not zero.
morson

Homework Statement

A balloon is rising vertically at a constant speed of 21 m/s. A stone is dropped from the balloon. The stone strikes the ground 10 seconds later. Assuming that air resistance is negligible and that acceleration on Earth due to gravity is 9.8 m/s2, from what height is the stone dropped?

Homework Equations

v = u + at
dv/dt = a
dx/dt = v

The Attempt at a Solution

This is screwing with my head. It's an obvious displacement problem, but where would you set the origin, to which the displacement is relative?

Here's my attempt:

The acceleration of the stone at any time is 9.8, and because this is constant
acceleration, v = u + at where a = 9.8 and u = 0 (because if you haven't dropped the stone yet, it must have a velocity of 0) .:. v = 9.8t

Integrating that you get x = 9.8(t^2/2) + c .:. x = 4.9t^2 + c

Here's where I run into trouble. WHERE IS THE ORIGIN?? Is it at the ground? At the balloon? At the height from which the stone is dropped? How do I define the displacement?

I tried x = 0 at the ground .:. x = 0 when t = 10 .:. 0 = 4.9(100) + c

.:. c = 490

so x = 4.9t^2 + 490

So the displacement at any time is equal to 4.9t^2 + 490.

We know that the stone is dropped after 0 seconds, so the height from which the stone is dropped would be a height of 490 metres, according to what I came up with.

If I'm wrong, could you please point out where I went wrong? In my approach I completely ignored the fact that the balloon rises at 21m/s. Is that part relevant?

Physics news on Phys.org
Taking the orgin to be at a height of zero is perfectly OK. Ignoring the initial speed of the stone is not OK--it's not zero! (What's the initial speed of the stone?)

Choose a coordinate system and sign convention, such as "up is positive; down is negative". Note that the acceleration would be -9.8 m/s^2.

Doc Al said:
Taking the orgin to be at a height of zero is perfectly OK. Ignoring the initial speed of the stone is not OK--it's not zero! (What's the initial speed of the stone?)

Choose a coordinate system and sign convention, such as "up is positive; down is negative". Note that the acceleration would be -9.8 m/s^2.

Thanks a lot. I'll revise what I did, then:

The initial speed of the stone is 21m/s, if I'm re-evaluating correctly. The acceleration is -9.8m/s^2.

The velocity is -9.8t + c ==> at t = 0, v = 21 ==> 21 = c so:

v = -9.8t + 21

Integrate to get X (displacement) = -9.8(t^2/2) + 21t + c
= -4.9t^2 + 21t + c

x = 0 when t = 10 ==> 0 = -490 + 210 + c ==> c = 280

x = -4.9t^2 + 21t + 280

At x = h, t = 0: h = 280

280 metres?

If it's correct, thanks a lot. If it's not, thanks anyway.

Looks good.

Okay, awesome.

1. What is the kinematics balloon problem?

The kinematics balloon problem is a physics question that involves analyzing the motion of a balloon as it rises or falls in the air. It requires understanding of basic kinematic equations and application of principles such as velocity, acceleration, and displacement.

2. How do you approach solving a kinematics balloon problem?

The first step in solving a kinematics balloon problem is to carefully read and understand the given information, including the initial and final conditions of the balloon's motion. Then, you can use kinematic equations and principles to set up and solve equations to find the desired quantities, such as the velocity or acceleration of the balloon.

3. What are the key concepts involved in solving a kinematics balloon problem?

The key concepts involved in solving a kinematics balloon problem include understanding the difference between velocity and speed, the relationship between displacement and distance, and how acceleration affects an object's motion. It is also important to know how to work with vectors and use the appropriate kinematic equations for the given scenario.

4. What factors can affect the motion of a balloon in a kinematics balloon problem?

The motion of a balloon in a kinematics balloon problem can be affected by various factors, such as air resistance, wind speed and direction, and the weight of the balloon. These factors can impact the velocity and acceleration of the balloon, and must be taken into consideration when solving the problem.

5. How can kinematics balloon problems be applied in real life?

Kinematics balloon problems have real-life applications in fields such as meteorology, aeronautics, and air traffic control. By understanding the motion of objects in the air, scientists and engineers can accurately predict and control the movement of balloons, airplanes, and other flying objects. Kinematics also plays a role in understanding the motion of gas particles in a balloon, which can be applied in fields such as chemistry and atmospheric science.