Calculating the Time for a Car Chase: Kinematics Question

In summary, the police car and a speeding car are traveling at 26.4 m/s and 37.5 m/s respectively. After 1 second, the police car accelerates at a rate of 2 m/s^2. The time it takes for the police car to catch the speeder is 13.02 seconds, taking into account the initial 1 second where neither car is accelerating.
vbrasic

Homework Statement

We have that a police car is traveling at ##26.4## m/s, and that at a time, ##t=0##, a car speeds by at ##37.5## m/s. After ##1## s, the police car accelerates constantly at ##2## m/s2. We are asked to find the time, ##t##, where the police car catches the speeder.

Homework Equations

##v_f=v_i+at##, and ##s=v_0t+\frac{1}{2}at^2##. (Standard kinematics equations.)

The Attempt at a Solution

Granted that the police car is not accelerating for the first second, I chose to simply begin analyzing the motion at the ##1## s mark. In the first second, the police car moves, ##26.4## m, while the speeder moves, ##37.5## m. We have then, in this frame, that the speeder's displacement after ##1## s is given by, ##(37.5-26.4)+37.5t##. That is, I simply state that the initial position of the speeder is given by the displacement between the two vehicles after ##1## s. The police car's displacement is ##26.4t+t^2##. We simply rearrange then to solve the quadratic for ##t##, such that ##t=12.2## s. My book says the answer is ##13## s. I'm not sure if this is simply due to a rounding error, or if there's something wrong with my logic.

Likes sunnnystrong
Physics news on Phys.org
Use: X-Xo = VoT + 1/2AT^2
For the police car:
X-Xo = 1/2(2)(T-1)^2 + (26.4)T
For the car:
X-Xo = (37.5)T

Set them equal to each other & solve for T :)
The trick is realizing that the police car has two components for distance...

vbrasic said:
t=12.2 s
I got 12.02 s as an answer.

Edit: I thought your method looked good.

Edit2: Oops. We both forgot to add back in the 1 second, so the answer looks like it should be 13.02 s.

Likes sunnnystrong
sunnnystrong said:
For the police car:
X-Xo = 1/2(2)(T-1)^2 + (26.4)T
For the car:
X-Xo = (37.5)T
That will work too, but for the police car I think it should be:
x-xo = (0.5)(2)(t-1)2 + 26.4(t-1)
Edit: I'm sorry. If you are using xo = 0, then your equation is correct as it is written. That is probably what you intended.

Last edited:
Likes sunnnystrong
TomHart said:
Edit2: Oops. We both forgot to add back in the 1 second, so the answer looks like it should be 13.02 s.

Well that explains it. I knew I was missing something. Thanks.

1. What is "Kinematics car chase"?

"Kinematics car chase" is a physics problem that involves analyzing the motion of two cars in a chase scenario. It typically involves determining the distance, velocity, and acceleration of each car at different points in time.

2. How is "Kinematics car chase" solved?

"Kinematics car chase" is solved using principles of kinematics, which is the branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects. This problem can be solved using equations of motion, such as the distance formula, velocity formula, and acceleration formula.

3. What are the key variables in a "Kinematics car chase" problem?

The key variables in a "Kinematics car chase" problem are distance, velocity, and acceleration. These variables are used to describe the motion of the cars and can be represented by symbols such as d, v, and a.

4. What are some common assumptions made in "Kinematics car chase" problems?

Some common assumptions made in "Kinematics car chase" problems include assuming constant acceleration, neglecting air resistance, and assuming that the cars move in a straight line. These assumptions simplify the problem and make it easier to solve, but may not always reflect real-world situations.

5. How is "Kinematics car chase" used in the real world?

"Kinematics car chase" is used in the real world to analyze and predict the motion of objects, such as cars, in various scenarios. This can be useful in situations such as car chases in movies or in determining the best route for a car race. It is also used in engineering and design to optimize the performance of vehicles.