1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinematics car chase question

1. Mar 19, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    We have that a police car is travelling at ##26.4## m/s, and that at a time, ##t=0##, a car speeds by at ##37.5## m/s. After ##1## s, the police car accelerates constantly at ##2## m/s2. We are asked to find the time, ##t##, where the police car catches the speeder.

2. Relevant equations
    ##v_f=v_i+at##, and ##s=v_0t+\frac{1}{2}at^2##. (Standard kinematics equations.)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Granted that the police car is not accelerating for the first second, I chose to simply begin analyzing the motion at the ##1## s mark. In the first second, the police car moves, ##26.4## m, while the speeder moves, ##37.5## m. We have then, in this frame, that the speeder's displacement after ##1## s is given by, ##(37.5-26.4)+37.5t##. That is, I simply state that the initial position of the speeder is given by the displacement between the two vehicles after ##1## s. The police car's displacement is ##26.4t+t^2##. We simply rearrange then to solve the quadratic for ##t##, such that ##t=12.2## s. My book says the answer is ##13## s. I'm not sure if this is simply due to a rounding error, or if there's something wrong with my logic.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2017 #2
    Use: X-Xo = VoT + 1/2AT^2
    For the police car:
    X-Xo = 1/2(2)(T-1)^2 + (26.4)T
    For the car:
    X-Xo = (37.5)T

Set them equal to each other & solve for T :)
    The trick is realizing that the police car has two components for distance...

4. Mar 19, 2017 #3
    I got 12.02 s as an answer.

Edit: I thought your method looked good.

Edit2: Oops. We both forgot to add back in the 1 second, so the answer looks like it should be 13.02 s.

5. Mar 19, 2017 #4
    That will work too, but for the police car I think it should be:
    x-xo = (0.5)(2)(t-1)2 + 26.4(t-1)
    Edit: I'm sorry. If you are using xo = 0, then your equation is correct as it is written. That is probably what you intended.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  6. Mar 19, 2017 #5
    Well that explains it. I knew I was missing something. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted