1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinematics Collision Question

1. Jul 9, 2008 #1
    The car of mass 1500 kg is traveling east at 25 m/s and collides at an intersection with the truck of 2500 kg mass traveling north at 20 m/s if the wreckage moves as one mass after the collision (the collision is inelastic), calculate the magnitude and direction of the wreckage after the collision.

My problem is that I have used two methods of working the magnitude - both of which are in my notes and both of which give me a different answer and I don't know how to find the direction at all.

Before After
    East > North ^ ?
    1500 2500 4000
    25 20 V

North was wierd so I took it as positive ie east aswell

37500 + 50000 = 4000v
    v= 87500/4000
    v= 21. 875 m/s so it moves east direction

or it will move in west direction at 3.125 m/s if you take north as negative ( this answer is wrong i think)

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2008 #2
    I'm not 100% sure about what you did. I would, for the moment not focus on positives and negatives because you are dealing with vectors that have direction. I believe you figured out the magnitude of the velocity correctly (21. 875 m/s). Now you have to figure out the direction, correct?

You can do this several ways, using trig. You know the x and y component of momentum, so you can figure out the resultant angle which will be the angle at which the object moves.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?