How Long Does It Take to Brake a Train from 28.6 m/s to 11.4 m/s?

• Thread starter lockmantican
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary: It only slows down to 11.4m/s. Therefore, the final velocity is not zero. In summary, a train traveling at a constant velocity of 28.6 m/s approaches a small town. The operator applies brakes, causing the train's velocity to decrease to 11.4 m/s with an average acceleration of -1.35 m/s^2. The initial velocity when the brakes are applied is 28.6 m/s. The final velocity is 11.4 m/s. The final velocity is not zero because the train does not come to a complete stop. The operator applies the brakes for an unknown elapsed time.
lockmantican
A train approaches a small town with a constant velocity of +28.6 m/s. The operator applies the brake, reducing the train’s velocity to +11.4 m/s. If the average acceleration of the train during braking is –1.35 m/s^2, for what elapsed time does the operator apply the brake?

2. i tried to use the equation for definition of acceleration

3. i set up my diagram and my question is; what is the initial velocity when the operator starts applying the brakes?

Physics news on Phys.org
lockmantican said:
A train approaches a small town with a constant velocity of +28.6 m/s. The operator applies the brake, reducing the train’s velocity to +11.4 m/s. If the average acceleration of the train during braking is –1.35 m/s^2, for what elapsed time does the operator apply the brake?

2. i tried to use the equation for definition of acceleration

3. i set up my diagram and my question is; what is the initial velocity when the operator starts applying the brakes?

The train is traveling at 28.6m/s when it starts to experience a negative acceleration of 1.35m/s^2 until it is traveling at 11.4m/s

So initial velocity is 28.6, final velocity is 11.4 and acceleration is -1.35

Just look at your kinematics equations, you should be able to use

Vf = Vo +at

aftershock said:
The train is traveling at 28.6m/s when it starts to experience a negative acceleration of 1.35m/s^2 until it is traveling at 11.4m/s

So initial velocity is 28.6, final velocity is 11.4 and acceleration is -1.35

Just look at your kinematics equations, you should be able to use

Vf = Vo +at

why wouldn't the final velocity be 0 m/s

lockmantican said:
why wouldn't the final velocity be 0 m/s

Why would it be? The train is starting at 28.6m/s and ending up at 11.4m/s so final velocity is 11.4

The final velocity would be zero if the train came to a stop, but it doesn't.

The initial velocity when the operator starts applying the brakes is +28.6 m/s. This is the velocity at which the train was traveling before the brakes were applied. The change in velocity, or the deceleration, is 28.6 m/s - 11.4 m/s = 17.2 m/s. This change in velocity occurs over a period of time, which can be calculated using the average acceleration and the formula for acceleration: a = (v - u)/t, where a is acceleration, v is final velocity, u is initial velocity, and t is time. Rearranging this formula, we get t = (v - u)/a. Plugging in the values we know, we get t = (11.4 m/s - 28.6 m/s)/-1.35 m/s^2 = 17.2 m/s / 1.35 m/s^2 = 12.74 seconds. This means that the operator applied the brakes for 12.74 seconds to decelerate the train from +28.6 m/s to +11.4 m/s.

1. What is kinematics deceleration?

Kinematics deceleration is a term used to describe the slowing down or decrease in speed of an object. It is a type of motion that occurs when an object experiences a negative acceleration, causing it to slow down.

2. How is kinematics deceleration different from acceleration?

Kinematics deceleration and acceleration are two opposite types of motion. Acceleration refers to an increase in speed, while deceleration refers to a decrease in speed. Both involve a change in velocity, but acceleration is a positive change while deceleration is a negative change.

3. What causes kinematics deceleration?

Kinematics deceleration is caused by external forces acting on an object. These forces can include friction, air resistance, and gravity. When these forces are greater than the force propelling the object forward, it will experience deceleration.

4. How is kinematics deceleration measured?

Kinematics deceleration is measured in units of meters per second squared (m/s²). This unit represents the change in velocity over time, with a higher value indicating a greater rate of deceleration.

5. Can an object experience both acceleration and deceleration?

Yes, an object can experience both acceleration and deceleration at different points in its motion. For example, a ball thrown into the air will experience acceleration as it moves upward, but will experience deceleration as it falls back to the ground. This is due to the different forces acting on the object at different points in its trajectory.