1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinematics decelerating

1. Oct 24, 2011 #1
    A train approaches a small town with a constant velocity of +28.6 m/s. The operator applies the brake, reducing the train’s velocity to +11.4 m/s. If the average acceleration of the train during braking is –1.35 m/s^2, for what elapsed time does the operator apply the brake?

2. i tried to use the equation for definition of acceleration

3. i set up my diagram and my question is; what is the initial velocity when the operator starts applying the brakes?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2011 #2

The train is traveling at 28.6m/s when it starts to experience a negative acceleration of 1.35m/s^2 until it is traveling at 11.4m/s

So initial velocity is 28.6, final velocity is 11.4 and acceleration is -1.35

Just look at your kinematics equations, you should be able to use

Vf = Vo +at

4. Oct 24, 2011 #3
    why wouldn't the final velocity be 0 m/s

5. Oct 24, 2011 #4
    Why would it be? The train is starting at 28.6m/s and ending up at 11.4m/s so final velocity is 11.4

The final velocity would be zero if the train came to a stop, but it doesn't.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook