1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinematics Equation help

1. Jun 5, 2012 #1
    A runner hopes to complete the 10,000m run in less than 30.0 minutes. After exactly 27.0 minutes, there are still 1100m to go. The runner must then accelerate at 0.20m/s^2 for how many seconds in order to achieve the desired time.

I have calculated the runner moving at 5.5m/s^2 for the first 27 minutes. I have no idea how to calculate this problem, all I know is that it will need to be divided into two parts.

With 180 seconds remaining, the runner would need to be going 6.1m/s^2 to complete the race on time. So they will need to accelerate about .6m/s^2 which is about 3 seconds, but I don't know what equations I need to plug into one another to show my work for this problem.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2012 #2
    It's 5.5 m/s
    You have initial velocity, acceleration and and distance. Use SUVAT formula to solve the time taken.

4. Jun 8, 2012 #3
    I think you must use d=vit+0.5at^2 or a variation of that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook