Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Kinematics for car travel help

1. May 21, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two cars start at the same time from the same place and travel along the same road. Car A has a constant speed of 50mph. Car B travels with the constant speed V for 100 miles, then stops to rest for a time, T, then travels again with constant speed V for another 100 miles. Assume V is greater than 50mph.

2. Relevant equations

I was trying to set up the equations but have trouble with it but here is what I have so far.
    Car A= 50mph
    Car B= Vmph + 100miles

3. The attempt at a solution

I got stuck at trying to come up with algebraic expressions.

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2010 #2
    Re: Kinematics

It is not clear to me what you are solving for. Do both cars travel the same distance?

4. May 22, 2010 #3
    Re: Kinematics

The first thing they asked was to write an algebraic expressions as answers to the follwing questions.
    1. How far is B ahead of A when B stops to rest?
    2. Where is A when B starts up again
    3. What time is it when A passes a marker 150 miles from the starting point?
    4. suppose we were at teh 150 mile marker. how long would we have to wait between the passing of A and the passing of B?
    5. Where is A when B arrives at a point 200 miles from its starting point.

I need to step up an algebraic expression in order to answer these questions and from the information they gave me don't know how to step up the formula. In class we used so far V=D/T
    thank you

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook