1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinematics: force along x-axis problem

1. Oct 12, 2004 #1
    The only force acting on a 2.7 kg body as it moves along the positive x axis has an x component Fx = - 6x N, where x is in meters. The velocity of the body at x = 3.0 m is 8.0 m/s.

What is the velocity at x = 4?

I found it to be 0.22m/s but my friends swear up and down it's not. Could I get a second opinion on this answer? My work is something like this:

F = -6x
    a = -6/2.7 * x
    v = -3/2.7 * x^2 +c

v(3) = 8

8 = -3/2.7 * 3^2 + c
    c = 18

v(4) = -3/2.7 * 4^2 + 18
    v(4) = 0.222

Corrections please? Thanks in advance.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2004 #2
    W = d(Kinetic energy) = (Integral from inital to final ) F dx

that's waht you're missing
  4. Oct 12, 2004 #3
    heh that makes sense. I had forgotten the point of the entire hw assignment I was helping with was work-related. I still can't figure out why my way didn't work though oh well.
  5. Oct 12, 2004 #4
    It didn't work BECAUSE!

First of all what are you thinking about here how did you figure (ASSUME) that a = 6 / 2.7 x
    and how did you derive v from that ???

Seems you tried to find the difference betwee nthe two points on force

Remember that is W is the integral because it is the area under the graph of force and the only way to do that is to find the integral
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?