Kinematics: force along x-axis problem

In summary, the problem involves a 2.7 kg body moving along the positive x-axis with an x component force of Fx = -6x N. At x = 3.0 m, the velocity of the body is 8.0 m/s. After calculating the constant, c, the velocity at x = 4.0 m is found to be 0.222 m/s. It is important to remember that the problem is work-related and the integral is needed to find the area under the graph of force.
vsage
The only force acting on a 2.7 kg body as it moves along the positive x-axis has an x component Fx = - 6x N, where x is in meters. The velocity of the body at x = 3.0 m is 8.0 m/s.

What is the velocity at x = 4?

I found it to be 0.22m/s but my friends swear up and down it's not. Could I get a second opinion on this answer? My work is something like this:

F = -6x
a = -6/2.7 * x
v = -3/2.7 * x^2 +c

v(3) = 8

8 = -3/2.7 * 3^2 + c
c = 18

v(4) = -3/2.7 * 4^2 + 18
v(4) = 0.222

Corrections please? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
W = d(Kinetic energy) = (Integral from inital to final ) F dx

that's waht you're missing

heh that makes sense. I had forgotten the point of the entire homework assignment I was helping with was work-related. I still can't figure out why my way didn't work though oh well.

It didn't work BECAUSE!

vsage said:
F = -6x
a = -6/2.7 * x
v = -3/2.7 * x^2 +c

First of all what are you thinking about here how did you figure (ASSUME) that a = 6 / 2.7 x
and how did you derive v from that ?

v(3) = 8

8 = -3/2.7 * 3^2 + c
c = 18

v(4) = -3/2.7 * 4^2 + 18
v(4) = 0.222

Seems you tried to find the difference betwee nthe two points on force

Remember that is W is the integral because it is the area under the graph of force and the only way to do that is to find the integral

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the study of the motion of objects without taking into account the forces that cause the motion.

2. What is force along the x-axis?

Force along the x-axis refers to the component of a force that acts in the horizontal direction, or along the x-axis, of a coordinate system.

3. How do I solve a kinematics problem involving force along the x-axis?

To solve a kinematics problem involving force along the x-axis, you will need to gather information about the object's initial and final positions, its velocity, and the time it takes to move from one position to another. You can then use equations of motion, such as the equation for displacement (x = x0 + v0t + 1/2at2), to calculate the unknown variables.

4. What are some common units used for force and displacement in kinematics problems?

Force is commonly measured in Newtons (N), while displacement is measured in meters (m) in kinematics problems. However, other units such as kilometers (km) or centimeters (cm) may also be used depending on the scale of the problem.

5. Can a kinematics problem involving force along the x-axis have more than one solution?

Yes, a kinematics problem involving force along the x-axis can have more than one solution. This can happen when the object's initial and final positions, and its velocity, can be achieved through different combinations of time and acceleration values. It is important to carefully consider the given information and use appropriate units to avoid errors in solving the problem.