1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinematics Formula

1. Jul 12, 2005 #1
    Ok guys I have a genius for a teacher and I want to get this assignment right. This is what he left me Also d = 1/2(g)(t^2)
    Using the web resources, find out how to derive that last formula. Write down
    the derivation line by line and provide your own comments next to each line.
    If you can clarify to yourself why that formula is valid, you will have made a
    significant step in understanding some basic physics.

I'll be looking for that derivation in you next email...

But I have no idea where to derive it from any basic formulas or Ideas will truly be helpful. Thanks guys
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2005 #2

Homework Helper

are you familiar with derivatives and integrals?
  4. Jul 12, 2005 #3

Science Advisor

5. Jul 12, 2005 #4
    No man thats whats wrong i barely took precalculus!
  6. Jul 12, 2005 #5

Science Advisor

OK. Look here to see if this helps:

Look at eq.#3. If you imply that the object is DROPPED and not thrown down, that means that Vo = 0. It has no initial velocity. So equation #3 reduces to what you have. If you want to go into the derivation of the previous equations of motion, you will probably be better served by some basic calculus.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?