Deriving Kinematics Formula: Step-by-Step Guide with Explanation

In summary, the conversation is about finding the derivation of the formula d = 1/2(g)(t^2) using web resources. The speaker is seeking help from others because they are not familiar with derivatives and integrals. They are directed to a website where they can find the derivation and are encouraged to understand the basic physics behind it. The conversation also touches on the idea that understanding the derivation of equations can be aided by having basic calculus knowledge.
Omar.Castillo
Ok guys I have a genius for a teacher and I want to get this assignment right. This is what he left me Also d = 1/2(g)(t^2)
Using the web resources, find out how to derive that last formula. Write down
the derivation line by line and provide your own comments next to each line.
If you can clarify to yourself why that formula is valid, you will have made a
significant step in understanding some basic physics.

I'll be looking for that derivation in you next email...

But I have no idea where to derive it from any basic formulas or Ideas will truly be helpful. Thanks guys

Physics news on Phys.org
are you familiar with derivatives and integrals?

No man that's what's wrong i barely took precalculus!

OK. Look here to see if this helps:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/imgmec/moteq4.gif

Look at eq.#3. If you imply that the object is DROPPED and not thrown down, that means that Vo = 0. It has no initial velocity. So equation #3 reduces to what you have. If you want to go into the derivation of the previous equations of motion, you will probably be better served by some basic calculus.

1. How do you derive kinematics formulas?

To derive kinematics formulas, you must start with the fundamental equations of motion, such as displacement, velocity, and acceleration. Then, using calculus and algebra, you can manipulate these equations to solve for the unknown variables and derive the formulas.

2. What is the purpose of deriving kinematics formulas?

The purpose of deriving kinematics formulas is to have a set of equations that can be used to analyze and describe the motion of objects. These formulas allow scientists to make predictions about the future behavior of objects based on their initial conditions.

3. What are the key steps in deriving kinematics formulas?

The key steps in deriving kinematics formulas include identifying the given variables and unknowns, writing down the fundamental equations of motion, manipulating the equations using calculus and algebra, and solving for the unknown variables.

4. Why is it important to understand the derivation of kinematics formulas?

Understanding the derivation of kinematics formulas allows scientists to have a deeper understanding of the concepts and principles behind them. This can help in solving more complex problems and making accurate predictions about the motion of objects.

5. Are there any limitations to using derived kinematics formulas?

While derived kinematics formulas are useful in many scenarios, they do have limitations. These formulas assume that the motion is along a straight line and that the object is moving at a constant acceleration. Also, they do not take into account external factors such as air resistance or friction, which can affect the motion of objects in the real world.