Answer: Kinematics Free Fall Homework Solution

In summary: I am sorry for the confusion. I meant it the other way around. x initial is 132 and x final is 0. My apologies.
madah12

Homework Statement

. A ball is thrown straight up at t=0. It is found to be falling with a speed of 8 m/s at t= 6 sec. Find the displacement of the ball.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

v=v0-gt
8=v0-60
v0=68
deltax =v0t - .5gt2
delta x = (68*6)- 5*36=228
but it says the answer is -132 am i wrong or is it wrong?

Edit:
nvm I got it it was supposed to be -8
-8=v0-60
52=v0
deltax=52*6 - .5*10*36 = 132

uhm it seems I messed up again this time I got a plus why isn't it a minus?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Also I have another question is delta y = v(t)t+.5 gt^2 considered one of the kinematics equations I mean can I use it without having to derive it every time?

"Find the displacement of the ball."

Since you throw the ball straight up and it comes back down to where you initially threw it from, then I believe the displacement should be zero. It would be like running a lap around the track. Sure you have ran a 1/4 of a mile but your total displacement would be zero because you end up back to where you originally started.

"Also I have another question is delta y = v(t)t+.5 gt^2 considered one of the kinematics equations I mean can I use it without having to derive it every time?"

Yes that is one of the kinematic equations that you can memorize. It only applies, however, to constant accelerations.

i am pretty sure it meant the displacement at t=6 ...

madah12 said:
i am pretty sure it meant the displacement at t=6 ...

Did you use a positive acceleration or a negative acceleration? Always remember which way you set up your coordinate system (i.e. down is negative and up is positive.) If you used (-8)m/s for the velocity than we assume down is negative.

I used negative acceleration. - 10

displacement = x(final)-x(initial)
s = 0-132
When you used 52 m/s (which was your initial velocity) for your motion equation, you get an initial position.

x final is 132 and x initial is 0 why did you reverse it ?

What is Kinematics Free Fall?

Kinematics Free Fall is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects that are falling under the influence of gravity. It studies the variables that affect the motion of these objects, such as time, distance, velocity, and acceleration.

What are the key equations used in Kinematics Free Fall?

The key equations used in Kinematics Free Fall are the equations of motion, which include the displacement equation (Δx = v₀t + ½at²), the velocity equation (v = v₀ + at), and the acceleration equation (a = Δv/Δt).

How do you solve problems involving Kinematics Free Fall?

To solve problems involving Kinematics Free Fall, you need to identify the known and unknown variables, and then use the equations of motion to calculate the unknown variable. It is important to pay attention to units and use proper algebraic manipulation to get the correct answer.

What is the acceleration due to gravity on Earth?

The acceleration due to gravity on Earth is approximately 9.8 m/s². This value is constant and is denoted by the symbol "g". However, it may vary slightly depending on the location and altitude on Earth.

How does air resistance affect objects in free fall?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is a force that opposes the motion of an object. In free fall, air resistance can slow down an object's acceleration and ultimately its velocity. However, for most problems involving Kinematics Free Fall, air resistance is negligible and can be ignored.