1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinematics: General Plane Motion

1. Feb 17, 2008 #1
    This is my first post, so I apologize if any formatting is off or if I'm not clear enough.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A ride in an amusement park consists of a rotating arm AB having a constant angular velocity [tex]\omega_{AB}[/tex]=2rad/s about point A and a car mounted at the end of the arm which has a constant angular velocity [tex]\omega'[/tex]={-.5k}rad/s, measured relative to the arm. At the instant shown, determine the velocity and acceleration of the passenger at C.

Since I don't have a scanner handy, I'm attaching my paint replication of the figure.

For now, I'm just looking at solving for velocity, and I think I'll be able to find acceleration if I can figure that part out.

2. Relevant equations

I'm using the kinematic equations derived in the book for a rotating and translating reference frame x,y. Using the point B in the figure as the origin for these axes, and the point A in the figure for a fixed reference frame X,Y, we have:

[tex]\vec{V_{C}} = \vec{V_{B}} + \vec{\omega_{BC}}\times\vec{r_{C/B}}+(\vec{V_{C/B}})_{xy}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

This didn't seem too complicated to me, but I can't get the same answer that the book does. First of all, I think that the [tex](\vec{V_{C/B}})_{xy}[/tex] term should be zero since C is fixed to B (it's not moving with respect to the x,y axes).

[tex]\vec{V_{B}}[/tex] should be equal to the angular velocity of the AB arm crossed with it's radius (2 rad/s * 10 ft tangent to the arm) which ends up as { -20icos(60) + 20jsin(60) } ft/s = { -10i + 10[tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex]j } ft/s

Then [tex]{\omega_{BC}}\times\vec{r_{C/B}}[/tex] is completely in the negative X direction at .5 rad/s * 2 ft which is just { -1i } ft/s

Finally, my answer is the sum of those two vectors: { -11i + 10[tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex]j } ft/s

The answer the book gives, however, is { -7i + 17.3j } ft/s. So the Y component of my answer is correct, but somehow my X component's magnitude is too great. What am I missing?

Hopefully my figure is clear enough. C is attached 2ft from the center of the clockwise rotating disk B, which is in turn attached to a 10ft arm which is rotating anti-clockwise about A. The X and Y axes given are horizontal and vertical.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2008 #2
    If anyone's interested, the trick is that [tex]\omega'[/tex] is measured relative to the arm, so the correct value of [tex]\omega_{BC}[/tex] is [tex](\omega_{AB}-\omega')[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?