Kinematics grade 12 physics

• Thread starter Mgh3
  • Start date
Hey, so I've been having some problems with Kinematics in reviewing for my finals next week! One question in particular I need help with, because I don't know how to solve it, and I am very bad at conveying my solutions on tests. Can anyone give me a hand? The question is : a basketball player is standing 9.5m from the basket which is at a height of 3.1m. She throws the ball from an initial height of 2.0m at an angle of 35 degrees above horizontal. The ball goes straight through the basket. Find v initial.

Answers and Replies

Be sure to use the HW template, which every user must use to get HW Help. You also need to know what you tried so far, so we can assist you.

BvU
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
You want to know how to solve it. Think of a few things you should have learned in this context and apply them in a reasonable manner.
There is a constant force in the vertical direction, so you get an expression for height as a function of time. Take t_throwing = 0 and leave t_ball_in_hoop as unknown.
No force horizontally, so: uniform motion at a constant speed. Two expressions with two unknowns only: t_ball_in_hoop and v_initial. Solve for v_initial.
By the way, I agree with NasuSama: you get better help if the helpers see what you've done by yourself and where you get stuck.