Kinematics Problems: Solve for Time, Height & Deceleration | Physics Help

• Thread starter dajugganaut
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary, there are three problems discussed in the conversation. The first problem involves calculating the time it takes for a computer to fall from a height of 4.5m with an initial velocity of 6.0m/s. The second problem deals with finding the height of a roof based on the time it takes for a tile to pass a window. And the third problem involves finding the minimum deceleration needed for a car to stay within the speed limit while passing through a speed trap. Different equations can be used to solve these problems, such as v=d/t, a = [ v(f) - v(i) ] / t, and 2ad = [ v(f)^2 - v(i)^2 ] depending on
dajugganaut
okay, i have a few questions from school i can't solve, please help me...thanks!

1. A Pentium 1 computer is discovered in a room, which is 4.5m above the ground. A person walks by and chucks the computer out the room window with an upwards velocity of 6.0m/s. How long does it take before the computer hits the ground?

2. To help pay his bills, Bill works as a roofer, laying down one shingle after another. One day, Bill dropped a roof tile off the top of a building. An observer with a stopwatch inside the bulding notics that it takes 0.20s for the tile to pass his/her window, whose height is 1.6m. How far above the top of this window is the roof?

3. While Bill is going through his driving test, he unfortunately passes over a speed trap which is set up with 2 pressure-activated strips placed across the road, 110m apart. Bill was speeding along at 33m/s while the speed limit was 21 m/s. At the instant the car activates the first strip, Bill begins slowing down. What minimum deceleration is needed in order that the average speed is within the limit by the time the car crosses the second marker?

Physics news on Phys.org
for the third question, what i did was i thought that this person must be driving away at 9m/s because his average velocity had to be 21m/s ((33+90)/2=21)

What have you done so far to try and solve these problems ? Show us what you've tried and where you're stuck, and we will help unstick you.

then what i did was i found the time the car would take the travel through the speed trap if it was traveling at an average velocity of 21m/s:
since v=d/t
then t=d/v
t=110/21
t=5.23...

dajugganaut said:
for the third question, what i did was i thought that this person must be driving away at 9m/s because his average velocity had to be 21m/s ((33+90)/2=21)

Okay! So, if his speed drops to 9m/s by the second strip, what must his deceleration be ? You know v(i), v(f) and the distance, s. What formula gives you the acceleration from these quantities ?

dajugganaut said:
then what i did was i found the time the car would take the travel through the speed trap if it was traveling at an average velocity of 21m/s:
since v=d/t
then t=d/v
t=110/21
t=5.23...

Okay, so far.

then I am presuming i would use this equation:

delta(distance)=v(i)*t+0.5*a*t^2

dajugganaut said:
then I am presuming i would use this equation:

delta(distance)=v(i)*t+0.5*a*t^2

This is one way to solve the problem.

So, this way, you don't really need the final velocity (9m/s).

OR, having found the final velocity and time, you could use

a = [ v(f) - v(i) ] / t

OR, having found just the final velocity (no need to calculate time)

use 2ad = [ v(f)^2 - v(i)^2 ]

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the study of motion and the relationships between the motion of objects and the forces acting upon them.

2. What are the three key concepts in kinematics?

The three key concepts in kinematics are position, velocity, and acceleration. Position refers to the location of an object, velocity is the rate of change of an object's position, and acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity.

3. What equations are commonly used in kinematics?

Some common equations used in kinematics include the equation for velocity (v = u + at), the equation for acceleration (a = (v-u)/t), and the equation for displacement (s = ut + 1/2at^2).

4. How is kinematics applied in real life?

Kinematics has many practical applications, such as in the design and analysis of vehicles, sports equipment, and amusement park rides. It is also used in the study of human movement and in the development of prosthetics and robotics.

5. What are the differences between linear and rotational kinematics?

Linear kinematics deals with the motion of objects in a straight line, while rotational kinematics deals with the motion of objects around an axis or point. The equations and concepts used in each are slightly different, but both fall under the broader study of kinematics.