Kinematics homework problem

In summary, the turtle starts at 50 cm from the origin and moves along the x-axis with a position function x(t)=50.0cm+(2.00cm/s)\,t-(0.0625cm/s^2)t^2. The question asks for the time when the turtle is 10 cm from its starting point for the third time. After analyzing the motion, it is determined that the turtle will be 10 cm from its starting point for the third time when it has travelled 60 cm from the origin, then turns around and travels back towards the origin, and finally reaches a distance of 40 cm from the origin or 10 cm from its starting point.
physstudent1

Homework Statement

A turtle crawls along a straight line, which we will call the x-axis with the positive direction to the right. The equation for the turtle's position as a function of time is x(t)=50.0cm+(2.00cm/s)\,t-(0.0625cm/s^2)t^2

At what time t is the turtle third time a distance of 10.0 {\rm cm} from its starting point?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok the first question asked for the first time, the second question was the second time, now it wants a third time, however its a parabola I don't see how it could have a third time.

I got .5(-.125)t^2+2t-10 for my equation did the quadratic equation and got 6.20seconds and 25.8 seconds. How can it possibly have a third time...? I don't know how to enter no solution into the program where we send our homework in we use Mastering Physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
physstudent1 said:

Homework Statement

A turtle crawls along a straight line, which we will call the x-axis with the positive direction to the right. The equation for the turtle's position as a function of time is x(t)=50.0cm+(2.00cm/s)\,t-(0.0625cm/s^2)t^2

At what time t is the turtle third time a distance of 10.0 {\rm cm} from its starting point?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok the first question asked for the first time, the second question was the second time, now it wants a third time, however its a parabola I don't see how it could have a third time.

I got .5(-.125)t^2+2t-10 for my equation did the quadratic equation and got 6.20seconds and 25.8 seconds. How can it possibly have a third time...? I don't know how to enter no solution into the program where we send our homework in we use Mastering Physics.
The turtle starts off at 50 cm from the origin, and you have calculated its time when it reached 60 cm, two times. Which way is the turtle going the 2nd time? Where will it be as measured from the origin the third time it is 10cm away from its start point? The wording is a bit tricky, but it should jump out at you when you think about it a bit.

oh i think i got it so it goes hits 60 keeps going turns aroudn come back hits 60 again then keeps going and hits 40cm from orgin or 10 cm from starting position?

physstudent1 said:
oh i think i got it so it goes hits 60 keeps going turns aroudn come back hits 60 again then keeps going and hits 40cm from orgin or 10 cm from starting position?
Yes! (except it doesn't actually turn around, it starts moving backwards at some point.)

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. What is a kinematics homework problem?

A kinematics homework problem is a question or exercise that requires students to apply the concepts and equations of kinematics to solve for the motion of an object.

3. How do I approach a kinematics homework problem?

First, identify the given information and what is being asked in the problem. Then, choose the appropriate kinematics equations to solve for the unknown variable. Finally, plug in the given values and solve for the unknown variable.

4. What are some common kinematics equations?

Some common kinematics equations include:
- v = u + at
- s = ut + 1/2at^2
- v^2 = u^2 + 2as
- v = u + 1/2(a + a')t
- s = (u + v)/2 x t

5. How can I check my answer for a kinematics homework problem?

You can check your answer by plugging your calculated values back into the original kinematics equation and ensuring that both sides of the equation are equal. You can also compare your answer to the given information in the problem and see if it makes sense in the context of the problem.