1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinematics in 2 dimension

1. Sep 22, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Useful background for this problem can be found in Multiple-Concept Example 2. On a spacecraft two engines fire for a time of 871 s. One gives the craft an acceleration in the x direction of ax = 6.00 m/s2, while the other produces an acceleration in the y direction of ay = 5.68 m/s2. At the end of the firing period, the craft has velocity components of vx = 5800 m/s and vy = 6420 m/s. Find (a) the magnitude and (b) the direction of the initial velocity. Express the direction as an angle with respect to the +x axis.

2. Relevant equations
    most likely the use of the 4 main kinematics equations

3. The attempt at a solution

basically i have no idea where to begin in this question, its computer question and I keep getting the incorrect answer, if anybody has suggestions how to begin this problem that would be nice, like what wud i do with that time of 871 s?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi zn23! :smile:

You can forget equations involving x … there's no distance involved in this problem. :wink:

Hint: Find ∆Vx and ∆Vy, and then its' a simple vector addition problem . :smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?