1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinematics in 2 dimensions

1. Aug 9, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Water from a garden hose that is pointed 25 degrees above the horizontallands directly on a sunbather lying on the ground 4.4 m away in the horizontal direction. If the hose is held 1.4 m above the ground, at what speed does ithe water leave the nozzle?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I am utterly clueless, however suspicious it may seem. It's summer homework, and textbooks were not designed to be used without the aid of a teacher. I'd prefer some general advice on how to do problems like this, where you are given the angle measure and displacement and must find [tex]v_0[/tex]. However, I decided using the template best I could would be a good idea.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2007 #2

learningphysics

Homework Helper

Try to write out the equations for vertical displacement and horizontal displacement. Think of it as a simple projectile (a rock or something)... instead of water...

4. Aug 9, 2007 #3
    well, your advice helped me solve a similar, easier problem. thanks. I got as far as I could on this one, but i've actually got to go turn this in at the school. I'll just have to take the penalty and try to figure this one out before our first-week-of-school test.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?