Calculating Time of Impact for Released Ballast Bag in 2D Kinematics

In summary, the conversation is about a hot-air balloon rising with a speed of 2.4 m/s and a ballast bag being released from rest at a height of 9.6 m. The question is how much time it takes for the ballast bag to hit the ground. The equations used to solve this problem are v = vo + at, v-squared = vo-squared + 2ax, and x = vot + 1/2a(t-squared). The solution involves finding the final velocity, which is -13.9 m/s, and plugging that into the equation v = vo + at. However, there was a mistake in defining the final velocity, resulting in an incorrect answer. The correct
sportzmaniac

Homework Statement

A hot-air balloon is rising straight up with a speed of 2.4 m/s. A ballast bag is released from rest relative to the balloon when it is 9.6 m above the ground. How much time elapses before the ballast bag hits the ground

known data

y direction
vo = 2.4 m/s
a = -9.8m/s
x = -9.6m

Homework Equations

v = vo + at
v-squared = vo-squared + 2ax
x = vot + 1/2a(t-squared)

The Attempt at a Solution

By plugging numbers into v-squared = vo-squared + 2ax, I got v = 13.9 m/s. Then, I plugged that and other data into v = vo + at, adn it came out to 1.17s (or 1.2s). However, I am entering this into a website which tells you whether you are right or wrong. It marked 1.2 wrong, and I only have one more guess. Is 1.17 right, or did I mess this up somehow?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure if you're wrong, sometimes the programming behind those sites can be a bit shady, but it doesn't seem like you defined the final velocity as v=-13.9 m/s, where the initial velocity v = + 2.4 m/s. This will change your final answer.

inhere said:
I'm not sure if you're wrong, sometimes the programming behind those sites can be a bit shady, but it doesn't seem like you defined the final velocity as v=-13.9 m/s, where the initial velocity v = + 2.4 m/s. This will change your final answer.

Wow, I messed that up. However, when plugging that into v = vo+ at It came out to 1.66, which I plugged into the site as 1.6s, and it told me that was wrong. Anyone know what I did wrong?

1. What is kinematics in 2 dimensions?

Kinematics in 2 dimensions is a branch of physics that studies the motion of objects in two-dimensional space, without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. What are the key principles of kinematics in 2 dimensions?

The key principles of kinematics in 2 dimensions are displacement, velocity, acceleration, and time. These quantities describe the position, speed, and change in speed of an object over time.

3. How is kinematics in 2 dimensions different from 1 dimension?

Kinematics in 2 dimensions differs from 1 dimension in that it takes into account motion along two axes, instead of just one. This means that there are two sets of coordinates (x and y) that describe the position of an object in 2-dimensional space.

4. What is the difference between speed and velocity in kinematics?

Speed is a scalar quantity that describes how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a vector quantity that describes both the speed and direction of an object's motion.

5. How can kinematics in 2 dimensions be applied in real life?

Kinematics in 2 dimensions can be applied in real life in various fields, such as engineering, sports, and transportation. For example, engineers use kinematics to design the motion of machines and structures, while athletes use it to improve their performance and techniques. In transportation, kinematics is used to calculate the trajectories of objects, such as airplanes and rockets.