1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinematics in 2 dimensions

1. Oct 4, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A hot-air balloon is rising straight up with a speed of 2.4 m/s. A ballast bag is released from rest relative to the balloon when it is 9.6 m above the ground. How much time elapses before the ballast bag hits the ground

known data

y direction
    vo = 2.4 m/s
    a = -9.8m/s
    x = -9.6m

2. Relevant equations

v = vo + at
    v-squared = vo-squared + 2ax
    x = vot + 1/2a(t-squared)

3. The attempt at a solution

By plugging numbers into v-squared = vo-squared + 2ax, I got v = 13.9 m/s. Then, I plugged that and other data into v = vo + at, adn it came out to 1.17s (or 1.2s). However, I am entering this into a website which tells you whether you are right or wrong. It marked 1.2 wrong, and I only have one more guess. Is 1.17 right, or did I mess this up somehow?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2009 #2
    I'm not sure if you're wrong, sometimes the programming behind those sites can be a bit shady, but it doesn't seem like you defined the final velocity as v=-13.9 m/s, where the initial velocity v = + 2.4 m/s. This will change your final answer.

4. Oct 4, 2009 #3
    Wow, I messed that up. However, when plugging that into v = vo+ at It came out to 1.66, which I plugged into the site as 1.6s, and it told me that was wrong. Anyone know what I did wrong?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook