Kinematics 2D: Find Particle's Accel. Vector

In summary, a particle with constant acceleration is located at \vec{r} = 2\hat{i} + 4\hat{j} m at t=0s. At t=3s, it is at \vec{r} = 8\hat{i} - 2\hat{j} m and has a velocity \vec{r} = 5\hat{i} - 5\hat{j} m/s. The acceleration vector, \vec{a}, can be calculated using the formula \vec{a} = (\hat{r_{1}} - \hat{r_{2}}) / \Delta t - \vec{r} = 5\hat{i} - 5
circuscircus

Homework Statement

A particle moves in the xy plane with constant acceleration. The particle is located at [tex]\vec{r} = 2\hat{i} + 4\hat{j}[/tex] m at t=0s. At t=3s it is at [tex]\vec{r} = 8\hat{i} - 2\hat{j}[/tex] m and has a velocity [tex]\vec{r} = 5\hat{i} - 5\hat{j}[/tex] m/s

What is the particle's acceleration vector a?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's what I did
[tex]\vec{a} = (\hat{r_{1}} - \hat{r_{2}}) / \Delta t - \vec{r} = 5\hat{i} - 5\hat{j}[/tex]

The answer is just that without the [tex]\vec{r} = 5\hat{i} - 5\hat{j}[/tex]

Could someone tell me why?

Physics news on Phys.org
wait what is the answer?

I would like to commend you for your attempt at solving the problem using the appropriate equations. However, I would like to point out that your solution is incorrect. The correct approach to finding the acceleration vector would be to use the kinematic equation:

\vec{v} = \vec{v_{0}} + \vec{a}t

Where \vec{v} is the final velocity, \vec{v_{0}} is the initial velocity, \vec{a} is the acceleration vector, and t is the time interval.

In this case, we have \vec{v} = 5\hat{i} - 5\hat{j} m/s, \vec{v_{0}} = 0 m/s, and t = 3s. Substituting these values into the equation, we get:

5\hat{i} - 5\hat{j} = 0 + \vec{a}(3)

Solving for \vec{a}, we get:

\vec{a} = (5\hat{i} - 5\hat{j})/3 m/s^2

Therefore, the particle's acceleration vector is \vec{a} = (5\hat{i} - 5\hat{j})/3 m/s^2.

The reason why your solution is incorrect is because you have used the position vector instead of the velocity vector in your calculation. The position vector represents the location of the particle at a specific time, while the velocity vector represents the rate of change of position with respect to time. In this case, we are interested in finding the acceleration vector, which is the rate of change of velocity with respect to time.

I hope this helps clarify the solution for you. Keep up the good work in your scientific studies!

1. What is kinematics 2D?

Kinematics 2D is a branch of physics that studies the motion of objects in two-dimensional space.

2. How do you find a particle's acceleration vector?

To find a particle's acceleration vector in 2D, you need to determine the particle's change in velocity over time. This can be done by calculating the particle's velocity vector at two different points in time and then dividing the difference by the time interval. The resulting vector will represent the particle's acceleration.

3. What is a particle's acceleration vector used for?

A particle's acceleration vector is used to describe the rate at which its velocity is changing in two-dimensional space. It is also used to calculate the net force acting on the particle, as described by Newton's Second Law of Motion.

4. How do you represent a particle's acceleration vector?

A particle's acceleration vector can be represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of acceleration, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude of the acceleration. This can be done on a coordinate system, with the x-component and y-component of the vector being represented by the horizontal and vertical length of the arrow respectively.

5. Can a particle's acceleration vector change over time?

Yes, a particle's acceleration vector can change over time if the particle's velocity is changing. This can happen if there is a net force acting on the particle or if the particle is moving in a curved path. In these cases, the direction and/or magnitude of the acceleration vector will change over time.