Solving 2D Kinematics Problem: Distance OP in m

In summary, the conversation is about finding the distance OP (in metres) when an arrow is shot horizontally towards point O and hits point P 0.10 seconds later. The problem involves using kinematics in 1D and the known time of free fall and acceleration to calculate the distance.
shlh
I have a problem with this question.
An arrow is shot horizontally towards point O, which is at a distance of 20.0 m. It hits point P (right below point O) 0.10 s later. What is the distance OP (in metres)?
What do i need to find? How would i know the time taken for the arrow to reach o?

Physics news on Phys.org
The distance to the target is a red herring; this is a question of kinematics in 1D: the vertical dimension.

You know the arrow has been in free fall for 0.10s, and when something is in free-fall it accelerates downwards at 9.8 m/s^2. Since the arrow was shot horizontally, it's initial downward velocity is zero, and you can use

x = 0.5*a*t^2 + v*t

to find your distance.

1. What is 2D kinematics?

2D kinematics is the study of motion in two dimensions, where an object's position, velocity, and acceleration are described in terms of both horizontal and vertical components.

2. How do I solve a 2D kinematics problem?

To solve a 2D kinematics problem, you will need to use the equations of motion in both the horizontal and vertical directions. These equations include the equations for displacement, velocity, and acceleration, which can be applied to the x and y components separately.

3. What is the distance OP in a 2D kinematics problem?

The distance OP in a 2D kinematics problem refers to the total distance traveled by an object from its initial position (O) to its final position (P). This distance can be calculated by finding the magnitude of the displacement vector, which is the straight-line distance between the two points.

4. What units are used for distance in a 2D kinematics problem?

The distance in a 2D kinematics problem is typically measured in meters (m). This is the standard unit of length in the International System of Units (SI) and is used to measure the magnitude of displacement in both the horizontal and vertical directions.

5. How do I find the distance OP in meters?

To find the distance OP in meters, you will need to first calculate the magnitude of the displacement vector using the Pythagorean theorem. Then, you can convert this value to meters by multiplying it by the appropriate conversion factor, such as 1 meter = 100 centimeters or 1 meter = 3.28 feet.