Kinematics in one dimension

In summary, kinematics in one dimension is the study of motion in a straight line without considering the causes of motion or forces acting on the object. The basic concepts include displacement, velocity, acceleration, and time, with displacement represented by "x" and measured in meters. The difference between average and instantaneous velocity is that average velocity is the total displacement divided by the total time, while instantaneous velocity is the velocity at a specific moment. Acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time, with the formula a = (vf - vi)/Δt.
Struggling
ok I've just cracked the ****s, for this question:

A car rolls gentley(Vo=0 m/s) off a vertical cliff. How long does it take for it to reach 100km/hr.

why can't i use V = Vo + at
where:

V= 100
Vo = 0
a = 9.8(gravity)
t = ?

the only equations I've been given to do this are:

V = Vo + at
V^2 = Vo^2 + 2ax
x=Vot + 1/2at^2

ARGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Physics news on Phys.org
Thats a good question, why can't you use it?
What did you get for an answer using it?

dont worry i got it, stupid me :grumpy:

Last edited:

1. What is kinematics in one dimension?

Kinematics in one dimension is the study of the motion of objects in a straight line, without considering the causes of the motion or the forces acting on the object.

2. What are the basic concepts of kinematics in one dimension?

The basic concepts of kinematics in one dimension include displacement, velocity, acceleration, and time. Displacement is the change in position of an object, velocity is the rate of change of displacement, acceleration is the rate of change of velocity, and time is the duration of the motion.

3. How is displacement represented in kinematics?

Displacement is represented by the symbol "x" and is measured in meters (m).

4. What is the difference between average velocity and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the total displacement of an object divided by the total time taken to cover that displacement, while instantaneous velocity is the velocity of an object at a specific moment in time.

5. How is acceleration calculated in kinematics in one dimension?

Acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi)/Δt, where vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and Δt is the change in time.