1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinematics in Two Dimensions

1. Mar 22, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need to find velocity v from the drawing.

2. Relevant equations
    Equations of kinematics

3. The attempt at a solution

I found that v=12.134 m/s . I need to know is it correct.

image.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2015 #2

Delta²

Gold Member

Your mistake should be in the calculation of s2. Since you use the equation [itex]h=1/2gt_{2}^2[/itex] seems like you ignore the fact that the particle has vertical velocity [itex]v_{y}=gt_{1}/2[/itex] at that point. So it should be [itex]h=v_{y}t_{2}+1/2gt_{2}^2[/itex]

4. Mar 22, 2015 #3
    I get a different answer.

Maybe you can verbally explain your reasoning?

5. Mar 22, 2015 #4
    Delta means this:in order to find your time for s2, you find the time it takes to fall a distance h under gravity with an initial velocity (in the y direction) of zero. This will give you the wrong time. You need to account for the initial vertical velocity. Think: which takes longer to hit the ground: a ball shot straight forward or a ball shot upward at an initial positive angle above the horizontal?

6. Mar 22, 2015 #5
    I think it's a mistake to combine s1 and s2 the way you are doing because they depend on t^2.

The standard way to solve a problem like this is to break into two parts: Vx and Vy and use t as the common variable.

7. Mar 23, 2015 #6
    I understand my mistake, it should be h=vyt2+1/2gt22

Here's what I get:

image.jpg

Then I tried to solve it:

image.jpg

I think this answer is wrong. Please help!

By the way, I did solve this equation using Wolfram Alfa and got v=6,88 m/s.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
  8. Mar 23, 2015 #7

Delta²

Gold Member

You got drown in a spoon of water :D, you forgot the square root in the last step, the velocity is the square root of 47.4.

But i am not quite sure the initial equation ([itex]sg=2v_x^2+...[/itex] is correct can u show us how u derive it.

Ok i think it must be correct cause solving the problem with the "usual" aaproach described briefly by paisiello2 gives the same result.

9. Mar 23, 2015 #8

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There is a much simpler method based on the trajectory of the projectile. The horizontal displacement (x) is x = Vo cos(α) t , the vertical displacement y - h= Vosin(α) t -g/2 t2. Eliminate the time t, you get the equation y(x) for the whole trajectory:
    ## y = h + \tan(α) x - \frac{g x^2}{2 V_0^2 \cos^2(α)} ##
    You know both the initial point and the final point of the trajectory: if x=0, y=h=0.17 m and x=s=5 m, when y=0. Alpha is given, α=45°. Substitute the known data, and solve the equation for Vo.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted