Kinematics (linear motion)

1. 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A puck is moving on an air hockey table. Relative to an x, y coordinate system at time t = 0 s, the x components of the puck's initial velocity and acceleration are v0x = +5.6 m/s and ax = +6.3 m/s2. The y components of the puck's initial velocity and acceleration are v0y = +9.8 m/s and ay = -3.6 m/s2. Find (a) the magnitude v and (b) the direction θ of the puck's velocity at a time of t = 0.50 s. Specify the direction relative to the +x axis.

2. Relevant equations
    v= u +at
    v^2 = U^2 + 2as
    s = ut +1/2at^2
    s = vt +1/2at^2

3. The attempt at a solution

i dont know how to approach this, in fact i dont even know if im using the right equations. since there are X and Y component. it would be incorrect for me to find V by only using X or V ... please help.

2. jcsd
  3. Chegg
    If you solve the final velocities for each individual component of the puck's movement you will get two vectors. Using vector additions you can get a resultant….from there you should be able to find the angle relative to the x-axis.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?