Kinematics od deccelerating train

In summary, the train experiences a deceleration of -1.0m/s^2 as long as it is in motion after the brakes are applied. The displacement of the train after 40 seconds is 200m, but the final velocity is zero at that point. The time interval of 40 seconds is given to confuse, as the train actually stops after 20 seconds. The brakes are key in this question and must be considered when calculating the displacement and final velocity.
frozen7
A train is traveling down a straight track at 20m/s when the engineer applies the brakes,resulting in an acceleration of -1.0m/s^2 as long as the train is in motion. How far does the train move during 40-s time interval starting at the instant the brakes are applied?

After 40s, displacement become zero,but the given answer is 200m. So, does it mean the 40s is just to confuse us? Does this question mean the train stop deceleration after it reach zero final velocity?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
no confusion going on...sorry

you used these formula's ?

v = 20 -t, velocity
x = x_o +20t - t²/2, position (the - just denotes the direction of the vectors at hand, it does not have an influence on the magnitude of the x here ; x_o is the initial position)

marlon

Last edited:
No. The displacement does not become zero after 40 sec. The final speed is zero after 40 seconds.

Might I recommend the equation for constant acceleration that looks like:

[tex]V^2 = {V_o}^2 + 2a(X - X_o)[/tex]

EDIT: Crud. I completely misread the question...again. I need glasses.

Last edited:
How about writing the kinematic equations?

acceleration, a is given by [itex]a = \frac{dv}{dt} [/itex]

and speed, v is given by [itex]v = \frac{dx}{dt} [/itex]

where x is the displacement or distance.

At what time does the train stop?

How if I use s = ut + 1/2 at^2 ? Isn`t the displacement = 0 by using this equation?

frozen7 said:
How if I use s = ut + 1/2 at^2 ? Isn`t the displacement = 0 by using this equation?

? If the displacement after 20 sec is non zero, then how it be after 40 sec ?

marlon

after 20s,the displacement = 200, and it is stop moving,v=0
For the last 20s, the train continue moving in different direction since the acceleration is negative sign.
Is it right?

frozen7 said:
after 20s,the displacement = 200, and it is stop moving,v=0
For the last 20s, the train continue moving in different direction since the acceleration is negative sign.
Is it right?

yes, so what is the displacement after 40 seconds

marlon

displacement = 0 after 40s
False? Why?
I found it by subtitute u=20, t=40, a=-1 to s=ut+1/2at^2

frozen7 said:
displacement = 0 after 40s
False? Why?
I found it by subtitute u=20, t=40, a=-1 to s=ut+1/2at^2
err you are right, i think

i was under the impression that the car just moved backwards after the first 200. Because the v = 0 but the acceleration remains -1. But now i am readin that the acceleration = -1 is only to be incorporated when the breaks are applied.

I am confused now :wink:

marlon

So...the time 40s is just to confuse us ,right?

It is a bit of a trick. It got me at first (after I read the problem correctly). The train stops after only 20 seconds. I would say that, since the brakes being applied would not allow the train to go backwards, then the displacement after t=20 is zero. Therefore, 20 seconds is the only time you need to consider the train as moving.

frozen7 said:
So...the time 40s is just to confuse us ,right?
yes, you have been correct all the way

marlon :blushing:

Ya,the BRAKES is the most important part in this question I think. Brakes won't decelerate.
Thanks anyway.

frozen7 said:
A train is traveling down a straight track at 20m/s when the engineer applies the brakes,resulting in an acceleration of -1.0m/s^2 as long as the train is in motion.
They key is the 'acceleration' as long as the train is in motion. Therefore, once the train stops, it is no longer accelerating.

The "deceleration" pertains to the opposing frictional force, you should note the equations for frictional force.

1. What is meant by kinematics of a decelerating train?

Kinematics refers to the study of motion and its causes, without considering the forces that cause the motion. In the case of a decelerating train, kinematics would involve analyzing the train's motion as it slows down, without taking into account the forces that are causing it to slow down.

2. How is the deceleration of a train calculated?

The deceleration of a train can be calculated by dividing the change in its velocity by the time it takes to decelerate. This is represented by the formula a = Δv/Δt, where a is the deceleration, Δv is the change in velocity, and Δt is the time taken to decelerate.

3. What factors affect the deceleration of a train?

The deceleration of a train can be affected by several factors, including the train's mass, the force of friction between the train and the tracks, and any external forces acting on the train. Additionally, the train's initial velocity and the distance it needs to decelerate can also impact its deceleration.

4. How does the deceleration of a train affect its stopping distance?

The deceleration of a train directly affects its stopping distance. The higher the deceleration, the shorter the stopping distance will be. This is because a higher deceleration means the train is slowing down more quickly, reducing the distance it travels before coming to a complete stop.

5. Can the deceleration of a train be negative?

Yes, the deceleration of a train can be negative. This would occur if the train is accelerating in the opposite direction, such as when it is slowing down while traveling downhill. In this case, the negative deceleration would be represented by a negative value in the deceleration formula, indicating a decrease in velocity over time.