Who Wins the Drag Race Based on Constant Acceleration?

In summary, two cars (a and b) participate in a drag race, starting from rest and accelerating at a constant rate. Car b finishes the last quarter of the race in 3 seconds, while car a finishes the last third in 4 seconds. The winner of the race and their time difference is unknown. The "constant rate of acceleration" means that the velocity is changing at a constant rate. Two differential equations may need to be established for each car, and if the acceleration is constant, X''(t) would have the form of mt+c. However, using the basic kinematics equations may be a simpler approach to solving this problem.
Remixex

Homework Statement

I stumbled upon a problem and i can't establish the ODE to solve it, from there on i believe i can solve the ODEs if they have regular analytical solving methods (translated from Spanish, will sound a bit weird)
Car race, 2 pilots (a and b) participate in a drag race. They begin their movement at rest and then accelerate at a constant rate.
Car b
finishes the last quarter of the way in 3 seconds, car a finishes the last third of the way in 4 seconds
Who wins and by how long?
Secondary question, what does "constant rate of acceleration" mean?, Line with or without slope? i believe it's with slope, or else we wouldn't need a differential equation, constant rate should mean constant derivative.

Homework Equations

Differential form of basic Kinematics equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So i get X(t) represents function of distance, X'(t) a function of velocity and X''(t) one of acceleration, also we know that X(0)=0 (therefore zero velocity and acceleration at t=0) for both cars. I believe we need to establish 2 differential equations for each car? I'm not sure
Also, if they accelerate at a constant rate, X''(t) may have the form of mt+c

Physics news on Phys.org
Constant rate of acceleration implies X''(t) is a constant .

This is strikingly similar to a bonus question I assign to my introductory physics class except that it doesn't involve the cars traveling at their max speed after they accelerate. Honestly I think that resorting to differential equations is a bit overkill. If you know the acceleration is constant just invoke the kinematic equations (derive them from x''(t) = a if you wish - not a bad exercise if you're just learning about them).

I thought of the same, normal Kinematics equations hold water if the acceleration is a constant, i had this idea in my mind the acceleration was a linear function, as in mt+c, but well if it isn't then normal equations are usable, and no i just stumbled upon this question on a forum and it caught me off guard, i know about ODEs :D

It's hard to tell if you really do not understand what you are doing or if you are just saying it badly!

Remixex said:

Homework Statement

I stumbled upon a problem and i can't establish the ODE to solve it, from there on i believe i can solve the ODEs if they have regular analytical solving methods (translated from Spanish, will sound a bit weird)
Car race, 2 pilots (a and b) participate in a drag race. They begin their movement at rest and then accelerate at a constant rate.
Car b
finishes the last quarter of the way in 3 seconds, car a finishes the last third of the way in 4 seconds
Secondary question, what does "constant rate of acceleration" mean?, Line with or without slope?
Acceleration of an object is a physics property and does not have anything to do with a graph so your "Line with or without slope?" makes no sense.

i believe it's with slope, or else we wouldn't need a differential equation, constant rate should mean constant derivative.
"constant acceleration" means that the velocity is changing at a constant rate. I'm surprised you did not know that.

2. Homework Equations

So i get X(t) represents function of distance, X'(t) a function of velocity and X''(t) one of acceleration[,
I'm not sure whether you really do not understand or are just wording this incorrectly. X'(t) and X''(t) are both "functions of" t- that's what the "(t)" means! What you mean to say, I think, is that X'(t) is the velocity function and X''(t) is the acceleration.

also we know that X(0)=0 (therefore zero velocity and acceleration at t=0) for both cars.
No. The fact that X(0)= 0 means that both cars position at t= 0 is 0. That says nothing about their velocity or acceleration at t= 0.
"They begin their movement at rest"
tells you that the velocity is 0 at t= 0. The acceleration at t= 0 is certainly NOT 0. Your are told the acceleration is a constant and if that constant were 0 neither car would ever move!

I believe we need to establish 2 differential equations for each car? I'm not sure
No, if they accelerate at a constant rate, X''(t) has the form "X''(t)= a" where a is that constant. Integratig, the velocity, X'(t)= at+ c.
To get X(t) for each car integrate that again.
(But you are NOT told that the constant integration is the same for both car so use different letters for the acceleration.

Remixex said:

Homework Statement

Car b
Secondary question, what does "constant rate of acceleration" mean?, Line with or without slope? i believe it's with slope, or else we wouldn't need a differential equation, constant rate should mean constant derivative.

Homework Equations

So i get X(t) represents function of distance, X'(t) a function of velocity and X''(t) one of acceleration, also we know that X(0)=0 (therefore zero velocity and acceleration at t=0) for both cars. I believe we need to establish 2 differential equations for each car? I'm not sure
Qwertywerty said:
Constant rate of acceleration implies X''(t) is a constant .

"Constant acceleration" would definitely mean that ##x''(t) = \text{const.}##, but putting in the word "rate" makes it less clear. I think one could, in all honesty, interpret it to mean that ##x'''(t) = \text{const.}##, by analogy with other cases where 'rate' stands for a time-derivative. If this interpretation is correct there would still be no need to solve a DE, because integrating twice would suffice. However, in that case there might not be enough information given to allow a solution of the problem.

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is a branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion. It involves the use of mathematical equations to describe the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object in motion.

2. How is kinematics related to ODEs?

Kinematics and ODEs (Ordinary Differential Equations) are closely related as ODEs are often used to describe the motion of objects in kinematics problems. The position, velocity, and acceleration of an object can be represented as functions of time in ODEs, allowing for the prediction and analysis of the object's motion.

3. What are some common examples of kinematics problems?

Some common examples of kinematics problems include calculating the trajectory of a projectile, determining the velocity and acceleration of a moving car, and analyzing the motion of a pendulum. These problems often involve using equations such as the kinematic equations and ODEs to solve for unknown quantities.

4. How do you solve kinematics problems?

To solve kinematics problems, you first need to identify the known and unknown quantities in the problem. Then, use the appropriate equations, such as the kinematic equations or ODEs, to set up a system of equations. Solve the equations using algebraic manipulation or numerical methods to find the unknown quantities.

5. Why is kinematics important in science and engineering?

Kinematics is important in science and engineering because it allows for the understanding and prediction of the motion of objects. This knowledge is essential in fields such as mechanics, robotics, and aerospace engineering, where the precise movement of objects is crucial for the design and operation of systems and machines.