1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinematics of a Particle

1. Jan 13, 2004 #1
    Problem: A car starts from rest and moves along a straight line with an acceleration of a=(3s^-1/3)m/sec^2, where s is in metres. Determine the car's acceleration when t=4sec. ANS: 1.06 m/sec^2

Alright...I know nothing about integrals...really, nothing. I was never taught anything about integrals even though I've taken calculus courses before.

Here's what I think I should do.

Take the equation a = d^2s/dt^2 and INTEGRATE it to find the position (s). But how do you do this.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2004 #2
    Forget numbers for a minute.

If ao is acceleration, vo is initial velocity, xo is initial position, then,

Acceleration at time t is: a(t) = ao
    Velocity at time t is: v(t) = vo + ao * t
    Position at time t is: x(t) = xo + vo * t + (ao * t^2)/2

They haven't taught you integration yet. Maybe you've been given these formulae, though, or something similar.

4. Jan 13, 2004 #3
    what's the initial position (xo)?

5. Jan 13, 2004 #4
    You don't need to know to answer the question. It's the distance, d, that's needed ...
    d = x(4) - xo
    = ...

6. Jan 13, 2004 #5
    d = 24s^-1/3

Sorry, I'm still not understanding.
    I really appreciate your help, though.

7. Jan 14, 2004 #6
    How far you go doesn't depend on where you start from, so take xo to be as simple as possible ... xo = 0.

8. Jan 14, 2004 #7
    The equations are valid only when a is constant

9. Jan 14, 2004 #8
    Thanks for that, himanshu121, I didn't notice the 's' sitting in the expression for a.

I just assumed that it was just a simple problem that didn't need integration and got side-tracked into seeing if jimmy had seen these equations before.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?