1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinematics of a particle

1. Jan 13, 2004 #1
    Problem: A car starts from rest and moves along a straight line with an acceleration of a=(3s^-1/3)m/sec^2, where s is in metres. Determine the car's acceleration when t=4sec. ANS: 1.06 m/sec^2

Alright...I know nothing about integrals...really, nothing. I was never taught anything about integrals even though I've taken calculus courses before.

Here's what I think I should do.

Take the equation a = d^2s/dt^2 and INTEGRATE it to find the position (s) and substitute it back into the equation. But how do you do this.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2004 #2

krab

Science Advisor

This is a challenging problem for someone who knows nothing about integration. Anyway, you cannot directly integrate your equation. A trick is to first use

[tex]a={d^2s\over dt^2}={d\over dt}{ds\over dt}={ds\over dt}{d\over ds}{ds\over dt}=v {dv\over ds}[/tex]

Now you have

[tex] 3s^{-1/3}\,ds=v\,dv[/tex]

which can be integrated. Once you have v as a function of s, you can integrate again to get s as a function of t. Then plug the s at 4 sec. back into the formula for a.

4. Jan 14, 2004 #3
    In how many forums u have posted this Que it is already in Maths And Homework Section And in fact Krab and everyone(includin me- in General Maths forum) will give u same solution unless a Genius finds other way to do

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12588

5. Jan 14, 2004 #4

krab

Science Advisor

Re: Re: Kinematics of a particle

I agree. I like to help out, but you've posted to 4 separate forums and so my reply was a waste of time on my part. So welcome to my Ignore list.

6. Jan 14, 2004 #5
    Hey Guys,

I think I've been wasting my time too.
    But, let's not be too harsh on ol' jimmy. He's only posted a couple of times and might not have appreciated why double-posting is such a pain in the XXX.

Hopefully, he does now.
    Paul.

7. Jan 14, 2004 #6
    Sorry

I really appreciate all the help. I'm new to forum etiquette and I apologize for wasting your time. I will, in the future (hopefully I won't need anymore help, but I doubt that that will happen) not post a message numerous times like I did last time.

Once again, sorry for being a dunce. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?